Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

The New Days - a Tintin inspired comic

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Tintinrulz
#11 · Posted: 7 Aug 2006 08:57
Is that massive speech bubble on one of the more recent days meant to be hard to take it all in (and be really boring info?) If not, sorry. That's what it did for me.
Your drawings are improving and your story telling, even though I don't get some of your jokes/punchlines.
Anyway, keep up the good work mate!

(By the way what software do you use for the perspective again? I couldn't make out what you said in the podcast. Myst, Misc, something like that. Some clarification would be great, thanks!
number1fan
#12 · Posted: 9 Aug 2006 11:43
If its Tintin inspired isnt that then (technically)piracy i have seen someone do a tintin book in the same style as herge and were knot allowed to discuss it can i ask you aslong as the person isnt makeing money out of it nd just want to show of there artworkd i dont see what the probleam is.
jock123
#13 · Posted: 9 Aug 2006 12:35
number1fan
(NB: I have had to take the time to render the content legible for spelling and grammar; please excuse me if I have misinterpreted anything you said, but I did the best I could under the circumstances… j123)

If it’s Tintin inspired, isn’t that then (technically) piracy?
No - obviously there is a difference between being inspired to do something, and copying directly; many people are inspired by the achievements of others to go on and do their own thing, without what they do being in any way actually linked to the inspiration.

It isn’t as if the characters are the same, the situations are the same or even (to my eye) that the art is the same as Hergé in ADP’s strip, so he/she hasn’t copied; I am more than prepared to believe that ADP has chosen to strive for a level of quality, a narrative drive or some other aspect he recognizes in the work of Hergé, and that he/she has set themselves the task of aiming for those qualities in what they do.

I have seen someone do a tintin book in the same style as Hergé, and [they] were not allowed to discuss it.
I can’t actually think of an example of this happening - there have been quite a few discussions of pirate works and artists. What we cannot allow are discussions of how to obtain or distribute pirate and bootleg Tintin albums (even when there is no money changing hands), because that would be to condone the infringing of the copyright, and that we cannot do.

As long as the person isn’t making money out of it, and just wants to show off their artwork, I don’t see what the problem is.
Well that is your opinion, to which you are entitled; however it doesn’t reflect the law, and it is that by which we have to abide.
ADP
#14 · Posted: 16 May 2007 07:21
Is that massive speech bubble on one of the more recent days meant to be hard to take it all in (and be really boring info?) If not, sorry. That's what it did for me.

Yes, the speech bubble in this strip IS meant to be overwhelming! Hence the gag with Eagle being asleep!

By the way what software do you use for the perspective again?

I didn't say which 3D software I use; trade secret for now.

(Sorry I took so long to respond to this post; I spent so much time and attention on this. The 3D model for the vehicle took me a long time to make; not nearly as straightforward as a builing or room.)
Tintinrulz
#15 · Posted: 16 May 2007 13:49
I hate the idea of trade secrets. It just a way to cut anyone else of from doing the same. I thought artists should help each other (give each other tips etc) not this.
ADP
#16 · Posted: 1 Oct 2007 02:55
Aww... I don't want to be thought of as "unhelpful." It's just that my current production methods are... well... rather unorthodox and still on the grow. I doubt that most people would find my artistic methods as convenient for them as they are for me, and I wouldn't want to mislead anyone with inferior artistic advice. 3D modeling (at least "good" 3D modeling) is a costly artistic investment.

But if you really want a taste of what it's like, there is a learner's edition of Maya available for download from Autodesk Multimedia. Maya is the 3D program that Pixar uses. It's capabilities (especially for animation) are formidable, but it--like all 3D programs, I imagine--has a monster of a learning curve. Mind you: the learner's edition puts ugly watermarks on anything you try to export; so it can't be useful for finished products, even non-commercial ones.

...Oh, yes. And YouTube is saturated with 3D tutorials of all sorts.

--

Moving along,

I have given The New Days a complete makeover, and the result is spectacular:
Broken link removed - 28/03/2011 - Moderator

Once I have enough material for my first book, all prior material will be completely re-done to at least match this current high standard.

(Only 2 comic updates for 2007; see what I mean about the "costliness" of 3D? Sure, the end-result looks good, but the price is high. My only hope now is my current stock of 3D models and experience will speed things up...)

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!