Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

First Tintin book you ever read?

Page  Page 10 of 12:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 

jamessick
#91 · Posted: 14 Jan 2008 02:06
Mine also was The Seven Crystal Balls around 1972, when I was 9.
A friend of my father gave it to him. English versions of the Adventures of Tintin were as rare as hen's teeth in the 1970's and 80's in America.
I didn't find out what happened to Calculus until 1986, when I happened on the some of the series at the University of Connecticut bookstore. Talk about being left in suspense!

In 1973, the same friend of my father let us borrow what books he had that summer - it was a partial set.
In 1991, as an adult, I started special-ordering the series from a Scribner's bookstore; at the time, I only had The Black Island, The Crab with the Golden Claws, Land of Black Gold, Cigars of the Pharaoh, Prisoners of the Sun, and that old The Seven Crystal Balls.
That was when I discovered the ones that my father's friend did not have: Tintin in America, The Black Island, Explorers on the Moon, Tintin and the Picaros, The Blue Lotus, The Calculus Affair.

Finally, with the internet, I found the books for sale at a store in Berkeley, Calfornia, and found out about the black and white reproductions of the original Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and The Blue Lotus in 1997.
Jeeves
#92 · Posted: 26 Jan 2008 17:39
Secret of The Unicorn, I think; either that, or Cigars of the Pharaoh.
FilmmakerPaul
#93 · Posted: 4 Feb 2008 17:19
The Shooting Star was my first.
cigars of the beeper
#94 · Posted: 4 Feb 2008 17:49
jamessick
I happened on the some of the series at the University of Connecticut bookstore
Well, how about that! I am Very familiar with the locale you are talking about. Storrs is my hometown!
As for this bookstore you are speaking of, I think that you mean the Uconn co-op. These days the only Tintins they sell are Soviets and Alph-Art.
Anyway, I think that your abbreviations for the books are rather confusing.

Moderator Note: The abbreviations were confusing, and sometimes misleading (TiSU? Tintin in the Soviet Union? So Tintin in the Land of the Soviets?). To avoid head scratching, we have expanded them to the best of our ability, and ask that people use the full names, or at least a recognizable version of it. If nothing else, it means that your post will turn up if someone searches for information on a book.
The Tidy Tintinologist Team
Grey
#95 · Posted: 22 Feb 2008 18:33
I remember reading part of Destination Moon back in the library as a child. I think that was my first.
coolchrisv
#96 · Posted: 7 Mar 2008 19:40
the first one i ever read was the calculus affair! i still think its one of the best tintin books!!!!

Moderator Note: Welcome to the forums! You should be aware that we follow a policy of using upper- and lower-case letters, proper English spelling (avoid using “u” and so on) and other rules of punctuation; this is to make the forums as clear and easy to follow as possible for all the members and guests who do not use English as their first language. Please take a moment to read the posting guide and rules.

The Happy Tintinologist Team
Little Mijarka
#97 · Posted: 11 Mar 2008 04:24
Tintinrulz wrote:
The first Tintin book I read was when I was eight years old. It was the Castafiore Emerald. I don't know how it got me hooked!

This was not the first one I read but definitely my favorite!! My first was America...or Cigars, I can't remember now...

~ Little Mijarka
Jeeves
#98 · Posted: 11 Apr 2008 02:55
My first was Secret of the Unicorn, I still have that copy!
Aurore
#99 · Posted: 12 Apr 2008 02:04
Hmmm...I think it was The Black Island...that's the one that sticks out.

I'm pretty sure that Le Secret de la Licorne was my first one in French.
Triskeliae
#100 · Posted: 12 Apr 2008 22:26
" The Seven Crystal Balls" was the first I got after starting to watch the Ellipse-Nelvana TV series. ' Love it!

Page  Page 10 of 12:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!