Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Ignorant people say "Tin...Tin?"

Page  Page 2 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

zaveri_tintin
#11 · Posted: 20 Oct 2007 08:56
cigars of the beeper
It really is a big problem. Even some people here on this site type TinTin. the Biggest problem is Tin Tin though.

You said it!
tintinspartan
#12 · Posted: 1 Nov 2007 14:28
I went to auctions and they do the same mistake especially Yahoo! Auctions. I typed in Tin Tin and they gave me 'Tin' and felt really irritated and pissed, especially looking through more than 1000 of this spelling.
Marie
#13 · Posted: 2 Nov 2007 11:29
I must say, I never met someone who didn't know the Tintin series. When I read your posts my first thought was: "What? There are people who don't know who Tintin is??!!" lol! But then I realized it greatly depends of the country. You see, where I live, Tintin books are very well-known, by every generations. Even those who are not fans at least know who he is. I met a girl once who didn't know what a werewolf was but yet she knew who Tintin was! lol! That gives you an idea. The fact that we speak french must help because we didn't have to wait years for the translation so we got hooked a long time ago...

Anyway, I almost wish I live in United States or England so I could get those kind of reactions sometimes. lol! That's just so funny! :P
cigars of the beeper
#14 · Posted: 3 Nov 2007 21:53
Marie

I almost wish I live in United States or England so I could get those kind of reactions sometimes

It may be funny, but the problem is, you can't talk to anyone about Tintin, and even harder, once you ask them and they say that they don't know who Tintin is, it is extremely awkward to explain yourself.
Tintinrulz
#15 · Posted: 4 Nov 2007 01:36
I live in Australia and most people here know who Tintin is. If they don't, they're most likely beyond 60 or below 10 years old.
He seems to be incredibly unknown in the US though, at least according to the forums I visit.

Marie, actually I would've though Tintin would be well-known in the UK.
Dupondt
#16 · Posted: 16 Mar 2008 01:15
I was reading an interview with Andy Serkis in some free newspaper they give away at the tram station and they referred to Tintin as Tin Tin, they should do their research!
Grey
#17 · Posted: 16 Mar 2008 16:33
When I went on the drama trip to London to see Tintin in Tibet, my drama teacher put on the letter sent out 'Tin Tin'. It still annoys me to this day.
Triskeliae
#18 · Posted: 17 Mar 2008 13:52
Even the dog Rintintin is more famous around here than Tintin, which is so FRUSTRATING!!!

About 'Tin Tin', that's the Arabic version of Tintin. With different translations Tintin's name has been modified to each culture. Even his name has been completely changed; Here are examples taken from page 133 of Benoit Peeters's "Tintin and The World of Hergé":
In Dutch, Tintin is called Kuifje [ka-fiah] and his dog is called Bobbie.
In German: Tim; the dog is Struppi
In Finnish: Tintti
In Greek: Ten-Ten

..And so on.

Truth is, technically, Tin Tin is not wrong, at least in Arabic.
cigars of the beeper
#19 · Posted: 18 Mar 2008 20:31
Grey
When I went on the drama trip to London to see Tintin in Tibet, my drama teacher put on the letter sent out 'Tin Tin'. It still annoys me to this day.

I find it the strangest thing that people do things like Tin Tin and TinTin, because in the books it is never even slightly like that, so why do they think it is?
Triskeliae
#20 · Posted: 19 Mar 2008 23:51
As long as they sound the name well...really, I don't mind as long as they adknowledge the existence of Tintin. My first concern is that, even with the Nelvana TV series, shown first on HBO, then on Nickelodeon through American Cable, there's a lot of people from my country who don't know Tintin at all!

Of course, most people in my country have cable only to see the local channels clearly.

Page  Page 2 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!