Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin: Small "homage" in Indiana Jones?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

skut
#1 · Posted: 28 May 2008 21:40
I don't want to post any spoilers, but it's hardly giving away much important... Anyone else notice the nod to Prisoners of the Sun in the new Indiana Jones movie, when Indiana and friends discover the secret entrance to the temple behind the waterfall?
It was one of the few things I liked about the movie, which overall was completely disappointing.
Rajpal
#2 · Posted: 30 May 2008 05:16
I wouldn't say homage - I would call it 'copying'. Without giving anything away - I would say that the story seemed to 'borrow' heavily from Prisoners of the Sun & Flight 714.

It just seemd to me that I was watching a live action Tintin film
Jeeves
#3 · Posted: 30 May 2008 06:32
Yeah! I drive my friends and family nuts because every time I watch an Indiana Jones movie I point out what was pinched from Tintin!
tintinagalog
#4 · Posted: 30 May 2008 07:25
Yeah, even the pose of Indiana Jones being chased by the tribe infront of the Pyramid of Houtouatoboutl, à la Haddock on the Picaros cover.
IvanIvanovitch
#5 · Posted: 31 May 2008 07:59
I can't recall where I heard this, but wasn't Indiana Jones loosely based on Tintin? Spielberg wrote the movies, or co-wrote them, and he's a Tintin fan. I wonder if this is related?
jock123
#6 · Posted: 31 May 2008 10:43
IvanIvanovitch wrote:
I can't recall where I heard this, but wasn't Indiana Jones loosely based on Tintin?

The answer to your questions is probably "no", for all cases.

It was George Lucas who initially came up with the character and idea for Indiana Jones, and co-wrote the story for Raiders with Philip Kaufman; Lawrence Kasdan wrote the script - no direct Spielberg involvement. He was obviously in communication with people involved, and may have thrown things into the mix; however, he's not directly involved at the get-go.

What Steven Spielberg did contribute for certain was the name Jones, as Lucas had originally named the character Indiana Smith. Indiana, by the way, was the name of a Lucas-family dog, whose habit of sitting in the front passenger seat of the car also inspired the creation of Chewbacca the Wookiee in Star Wars (and the name wookiee came from a line of background dialogue in THX1138, inserted and ad libbed by actor and voice-over artist Terry McGovern, which in itself was a sly reference to his friend Ralph Wookie...). But enough of the trivia...!

George Lucas first told Spielberg of the project on the beach in Hawaii, while they were on a holiday break, prior to the release of Star Wars (making it c.1977). How much Spielberg contributed at that point - other than the name change - could be open to debate, and there are mentions of notes being made between them.

However Spielberg doesn't get a credit for story or script, and is never listed as a co-creator of the character, which goes to Lucas and Kaufman. It may sound trivial, but in Hollywood, the credit is everything. There's no reason why, that I can see, if he was involved heavily in the creation that he wouldn't be included in the credits as a co-creator.

Spielberg really only got involved in directing Raiders after 1941 (1979), a large-scale, WWII-set comedy he made, famously blew its budget and then flopped - nearly ending his career. He was seen as un-reliable, and fallible, where he'd once been seen as indomitable.

Thus George Lucas hired him at a point when the studios were not certain about Spielberg's ability to helm a major picture; they might not otherwise have let him be employed at all, had not Lucas spoken up for him, and guaranteed that the production would not be allowed to spiral out of control as 1941 had done, and that he - Lucas - would personally cover any costs incurred if Spielberg did so.

George Lucas acted as producer, Spielberg gave his word to behave, and then proceeded to bring the film in in less than the estimated time, and on budget, and the rest is history.

There has been a long standing rumour that perhaps two sequences in the series were originally to have been included in a Tintin film (sometimes known as Tintin and the Lost City of Ivory) which Spielberg wanted to make, but which didn't come to fruition.

It isn't possible to say exactly how true, false or somewhere in between this is, or if it were two scenes, one or none. As it would have been an original story, not based on any of the books, it isn't possible to say without additional information.

The scenes in question are alleged to be the booby-trapped temple escape and the rolling boulder in the initial sequence in Raiders, and/or the escape from "Club ObiWan" in Temple of Doom, using the gong as a shield.

You'll notice that both involve rolling objects, so it is quite possible someone got their wires crossed at some point and mistook mention of one for the other.

The fact that Spielberg has always said he didn't know of Tintin until after he made Raiders suggests that the story of the boulder roll being a Tintin hold-over is not only less than likely, it's impossible, as the dates would be wrong.

It is known that the gong sequence was recycled from another script, either a draft for Radiers or an earlier version of Temple (now I can't remember), where it was to have allowed for an escape from a museum. As it's a kinetic, visual set-piece, it is quite possible that it's the sort of thing which a director might look for in a script, and suggest if he found it lacking and saw a moment where such a scene could be inserted.

It's possible that this re-use from an earlier script inspired the notion that it came from the Tintin script; perhaps it was just an idea from another story entirely, which Spielberg loved so much that he incorporated it into the series anyway, I don't know.

But anyway, no, as far as can be told, Tintin wasn't the inspiration for Indy, although he might have later had a tangential influence on the series.
skut
#7 · Posted: 31 May 2008 16:46
The story I've heard is that Spielberg had never seen a Tintin book prior to making Raiders. After the movie was released, someone pointed out that some of the action was akin to what you would see in a Tintin book; after that Spielberg read some books and became a big fan. Certainly there are sequences in Last Crusade that are rather Tintinesque, combining action and comedy.
toddly6666
#8 · Posted: 6 Jun 2008 14:37
The only thing related between Prisoners of the Sun and Indiana Jones films are just when they take place in South America. There's no comparison, lifts, borrowing, or copying....

Something copying is like The Incredibles stealing from Fantastic Four, as well as Hancock stealing from Iron Man (Demon in a Bottle).
Little Mijarka
#9 · Posted: 10 Jun 2008 04:56
Rajpal wrote:
It just seemd to me that I was watching a live action Tintin film

Except a Tintin film would be much better.
Oh Speilberg, I had such faith in thee.
Rocky
#10 · Posted: 11 Jun 2008 12:22
toddly6666 wrote:
Hancock stealing from Iron Man

Sid James would be proud!
(Apologies for going off topic, I couldn't resist)

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!