Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Spirou et Fantasio

Page  Page 1 of 6:  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Triskeliae
#1 · Posted: 13 Jun 2008 21:04
I recently discovered a Franco-Belgian comic book about two journalists: Spirou and Fantasio. Spirou was created in 1938, 9 years after Tintin. He also has " a strong sense of justice" as he goes around the world having adventures and fighting the bad guys.

Main difference between Spirou and Tintin:
Tintin belongs only to one author, Hergé, while Spirou has had many authors along the years. New books of Spirou are still published, each with the unique vision and style of each author.

Have you seen these books?
mct16
#2 · Posted: 14 Jun 2008 11:37
I have, but I have not been very impressed by ones in recent years, especially when the drawing was rather crude and the humour poor.

I much prefer those of the 1950s and 60s which were written and drawn by Franquin who is seen as one of the best of the post-war Belgian comic creators (Herge not excluded). Most notably, Franquin created the Marsupilami, a yellow, black-spotted monkey-like creature who accompanied the heroes on their adventures, contributing fun and chaos in the process. He was however taken out of the series by other artists and writers.

Franquin' s period is seen as the strip's golden age, with Tome and Janry's contributions a close second.

Enjoy them.
Triskeliae
#3 · Posted: 14 Jun 2008 20:12
mct16 wrote:
Franquin created the Marsupilami, a yellow, black-spotted monkey-like creature

Yeah, I learned about Marsupilami way before Spirou… because Disney Animation turned it into a TV series.
Personally, the stories that have catched my eye are made after Franquin. But that is because I search for adventure first, and humour second.
Triskeliae
#4 · Posted: 19 Jun 2008 20:06
Now, they are letting different authors make one book about Spirou. These books belong to a parallel series called Spirou et Fantasio par... (Spirou and Fantasio by...). The last book of said series (written and drawn by E. Bravo) is about how Spirou transitioned from a hotel groom to a journalist, and how he met Fantasio. I ordered it and can't wait to read it. The story's setting is World War II.

Here's the commercial of the book from the official website:

http://www.dupuis.com/FR/divers/spirou-bravo/index.html
SmartTintin
#5 · Posted: 20 Jun 2008 07:35
Triskeliae

Yeah, I know that there are different authors running a parallel series "Spirou & Fantasio by", but I think no one is really as good as Franquin. Franquin has set a benchmark that other artists are finding hard to achieve. Even I don't understand why Marsupilami was written off by other artists? I never felt that it was becoming too monotonous. Was there any other reason?

Anyway, its good to know that 12 volumes of Spirou & Fantasio are now released in English and those are all Franquin editions. Do you think Franquin was inspired by Hergé?
Triskeliae
#6 · Posted: 20 Jun 2008 13:35
Of course! After all, Spirou was created 9 years after Tintin. Spirou turns out to be a journalist (another word for reporter). Tintin has a dog; Spirou has a squirrel. Tintin has Captain Haddock as his grumpy sidekick; Spirou has Fantasio, who is also hot-tempered!

Both Tintin and Spirou don't like injustice and help out. Both characters are Franco-Belgian.

Even Spirou's hairdo is similar to that of Tintin!

SmartTintin:
Franquin has set a benchmark that other artists are finding hard to achieve.

And what if the others are not trying to compete with Franquin? I understand Franquin is the best so far, but the other authors are adding their own vision of Spirou. What I like of this series is that Spirou can be reinvented. I can enjoy all his renditions. In fact, I ordered a story by Franquin that I am most curious to read: "La Mauvaise Tete". I loved the synopsis I read of it and I understand why you like Franquin's stories so much.
SmartTintin
#7 · Posted: 20 Jun 2008 13:58
Triskeliae:
Of course! After all, Spirou was created 9 years after Tintin. Spirou turns out to be a journalist (another word for reporter). Tintin has a dog; Spirou has a squirrel. Tintin has Captain Haddock as his grumpy sidekick; Spirou has Fantasio, who is also hot-tempered!

I really thought so, but I was surprised to find no mention of that in Wikipedia.
Its such a pity that the writer has simply mentioned... "The series shares many characteristics with other European humorous adventure comics like Tintin and Asterix". If I can find a way to edit wikipedia content, I will add that...

Triskeliae:
And what if the others are not trying to compete with Franquin?

Yes, I realise that new authors have their own vision of Spirou, and in their own way they are doing a pretty good job. Franquin was one off in his era, like Hergé, so I think it's better to avoid comparisons.
Triskeliae
#8 · Posted: 20 Jun 2008 14:35
You're right about Wikipedia. But, at least, it explains the basics of the series for the ones who want to know more about them. Still, the best synopsis are in the official Spirou website. I still haven't received the orders of Spirou books I made, but I can't wait to start reading! :)

The official website:

http://spirou.spirou.com/index.htm
SmartTintin
#9 · Posted: 20 Jun 2008 20:33
Triskeliae

Thanks for the information! I will go through the official site...

Well, do you know whether there was any specific reason for future artists to take off Marsupilami from their stories? I know that later Disney adopted it and created an all new animated series. But I don't think that could be the reason for its exit from Spirou et Fantasio. Its quite possible that the entire rights were transferred. Any idea?
Triskeliae
#10 · Posted: 21 Jun 2008 01:05
No idea. I still haven't received any of the books I ordered. But I sincerely don't know why Marsupilami was written out. I suppose Dupuis Editions has the answer. Either we haven't found it yet, or no one's talking about it.

I've seen a few of the TV episodes (in English) from Spirou books. You Tube.

Check this out! E. Bravo mentioned Tintin in his story! The kids don't recognize Spirou because he's not in his uniform! And one of the kids thinks Spirou IS Tintin, LOL!!

http://spirou.spirou.com/oneshots/04/popup.htm?imgN=extr2b

Page  Page 1 of 6:  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!