Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Belvision: R.I.P. Larry Harmon

Sapristi
#1 · Posted: 17 Jul 2008 00:54
If anyone doesn't know, it was his memorable, bellowing voice that began each episode of Belvisions' "HERRGEES ADVENTURES OF... TINN-TINN!!!" and was also the voice behind the characters.

There is a small obituary on the tintin.com website.
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 17 Jul 2008 02:22
Thanks for the info Sapristi.
Larry Harmon was quite a colourful character and integral in helping spread Tintin's popularity, particularly in America. Quite a few people were introduced to Tintin via his animations, including Nick Rodwell, the big cheese at Moulinsart. (It was my first introduction to Tintin too, which gives you some idea of my age!)

Sapristi:
his memorable, bellowing voice that began each episode of Belvisions' "HERRGEES ADVENTURES OF... TINN-TINN!!!"

Was it Harmon who did the voice at the beginning? I understood it was Paul Frees. Paul Frees certainly supplied the voices to most of the characters, barring Tintin, who was voiced by Dallas McKennon in most of the episodes. Harmon may have done Tintin's voice in a few though.

I don't believe the cartoons are appreciated that much today, especially amongst younger fans who are more familiar with the Nelvana cartoons. And they probably won't quite stand up to the multi-million dollar movie production! But I loved 'em at the time!

Well, everybody else seems to get a chance to say it, and I've been waiting for my turn, so here goes...

HEEEEEEERGEEÉ'S ADVENTUUURES OF TINNN-TIIINNN!!!!!!!!! Thanks Larry!
Sapristi
#3 · Posted: 25 Jul 2008 23:45
Harrock n roll:
It was my first introduction to Tintin too, which gives you some idea of my age!

Mine too!

(I've tried to make this as forum friendly as possible: It doesn't feature any characters or scenes from any Tintin book or tv series: all it has is a cartoon of 5 year old me, watching TV. If it's inappropriate in any way, I'll delete it. I couldn't get the image of the 2nd panel out of my head for days untill I drew it, and it became the inspiration of this mini comic. I just thought I'd share it with fellow fans who'd share the sentiment.)

Moderator Note: Nothing to worry about there - all forum friendly, and a nice piece of work too!
The Happy Tintinologist Team
Sapristi
#4 · Posted: 26 Jul 2008 00:51
Thank you, I'm pleased you like it!
Rocky
#5 · Posted: 27 Jul 2008 18:50
Harrock n roll:
Was it Harmon who did the voice at the beginning? I understood it was Paul Frees. Paul Frees certainly supplied the voices to most of the characters, barring Tintin, who was voiced by Dallas McKennon in most of the episodes. Harmon may have done Tintin's voice in a few though.

You are correct Harrock n Roll, the bellowing voiced narrator of the US Belvision dubs was Paul Frees (who died in 1986). Apparently Frees also provided the voices of both John Lennon and George Harrison in the 1965 'The Beatles' animated series.

As far as I can tell, Larry Harmon voiced Tintin, Calculus, Snowy and others in the first Belvision animation, Objective Moon (Destination Moon + Explorers on the Moon), which was produced by the Larry Harmon Studio, Hollywood. The subsequent Belvision animations did not involve the Larry Harmon Studio, and Dal McKennon took over voicing Tintin.

Harmon also voiced Stan Laurel in the 1966 Laurel & Hardy animated series.

Sapristi - your artwork is excellent!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!