Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Ignorant people say "Tin...Tin?"

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Harpy
#41 · Posted: 19 Oct 2008 18:04
I felt rather upset when my adviser/tutor changed Tintin to Tin-Tin on my CV [i had put for interests that I like to read Tintin books..] So I changed it back ASAP and tutted to myself..
Karaboudjan
#42 · Posted: 22 Oct 2008 19:20
Yes, it annoyed me when my Creative Writing teacher wrote that all over my fan fic, many years ago. And she told me off for having a "talking dog", never mind I clearly stated 'Snowy thought'. There's no fool like an ignorant one!
IvanIvanovitch
#43 · Posted: 23 Oct 2008 21:55
Harrock n roll:
So, since his initials are T.T., perhaps his name really is Mr. Tin Tin and 'Tintin' is actually a nickname...? ;-)

Whoa! Wouldn't that clear up a lot of confusion.
I personally think his parents considered Tintin's christening a great joke.
MrCutts
#44 · Posted: 4 Sep 2010 13:14
[Post moved from separate thread]

I'm always searching Ebay for Tintin related items and the amount of times I see Tintin spelt 'Tin Tin' annoys me. Even sellers selling Tintin books with the word Tintin staring them in the face on the front cover manage to spell his name Tin Tin in their item descriptions !?! ARRRGG!! Why do they do that!?!?
Grey
#45 · Posted: 4 Sep 2010 13:42
I see this alot anywhere, even by Tintin fans themselves at times. It doesn't help many people relate Tintin as to being Rin Tin Tin (Uh... that dog... yeah) mainly because of his name, which is very irritating.

It's similar as to how people think Tintin is a Belgian detective like Poirot because of his ability to 'solve crimes' and defeat the bad guys when he's actually just a very adventurous reporter, purely coincidence from his work.
Rianna Lauren
#46 · Posted: 4 Sep 2010 17:15
Yeah, this really gets on my nerves sometimes. >.< TinTin, or Tin Tin, or even Tin-Tin... It's Tintin. Just. Tintin. Darn it.
ThompsonandThomson
#47 · Posted: 5 Sep 2010 15:34
Triskeliae:
About 'Tin Tin', that's the Arabic version of Tintin

Anyway, it should be noticed that the Arabic language don't use Latin alphabets, and so the Arabic 'Tin Tin' is a transliterated one. It means that 'Tin Tin' is used rarely by Arabic speakers. The Arabic version of Tintin is.
As far as I know, there is no version that calls Tintin as 'Tin Tin'.(According to the list of main characters'names in tintinologist.org, the Vietnamese version of Tintin is Tin Tin. However, as I have a Flight 714 in Vietnamese, I can surely say that it is wrong; Tintin in Vietnamese is just Tintin.)
I don't think it is important to discuss about this, but it is a little interesting :)
Morganson
#48 · Posted: 7 Sep 2010 20:50
This has often bugged me as well.
BiancaCastafiore
#49 · Posted: 13 Sep 2010 11:56
@Grey:
Yeah, but not only his fans but some other people... When my mom looks for the DVD, she said that the DVD seller asked ''Tintin??... Rintintin??'' (actually I never really know it). As for my e-books they written as :''TinTin-...''... My classmates seemed to don't know him very well... Tintin is actually a boy reporter which likes to help polices to bring justice done... I heard in The Golden Fleece & The Blue Oranges that ''Tintin'' spelt as ''Tantan'', & my mother used it to annoying me once she noticed it...

I do hope people would spelt his name correctly in everything that revered to him, because his name has a meaning too... I'm glad his fans here noticed that ('cause I didn't mind before, thanks).

P.S.
When you writes ''Tintin'' and check spelling in several sites / places / programs, it suggested to correct it to ''Tin tin'' or something like that. I think that's where the miss spelling begins...
Tintinrulz
#50 · Posted: 13 Sep 2010 15:20
True Grey, but really Tintin does far more detective work than reporting.

Page  Page 5 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!