Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Alph-Art: The Yves Rodier version?

Page  Page 4 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

IvanIvanovitch
#31 · Posted: 23 Oct 2008 22:23
Grey:
I just can't bring myself to buy nor read Alph-Art.

I echo Grey in this case. As something of a purist, I find it almost painful to read Tintin comics made by anyone but Hergé. Drawings and fanfiction of Tintin are all right, I suppose, but an actual comic by another hand affronts my senses. As the creator said: "Tintin: c'est moi!" Only Hergé could make Tintin move and breathe.

I tried a few times to read the completed version of Tintin and Alph-Art but could not finish it.
Don't misinterpret this: I appreciate Rodier's contribution to the Tintin world. My issue is that his conception was just passable, while Hergé's was fabulous.
Tintinrulz
#32 · Posted: 24 Oct 2008 09:21
It's a mixed bag really. Some of the panels are excellent, some are merely good and many are downright terrible (because of silly little mistakes that throw off the whole picture).
IvanIvanovitch
#33 · Posted: 4 Dec 2008 09:06
I gave it another shot.
I read Rodier's version from beginning to end. It was hard. It was painful. But I finished it.
My main grievance is the continuance of the storyline after where Hergé's draft concludes.
The first three-quarters of the book are a classic Hergé plot - not even poor artistry and characterization can conceal good writing.
Once Tintin meets Akass, however, the story rapidly deteriorates and the mind behind the illustrations is revealed.
Instead of the careful timing and revealed connections of a Hergé climax, Rodier substitutes three sequences of the villain attempting to murder Tintin.
Tintin and the Captain are helpless throughout.
They seem content with being drug from clifftop to clifftop as Akass/ Rastapopoulos vents. The monotonous situation ends with an acrobatic flip off a cliff, a half-choked Tintin and Haddock, and a dead body.
So end the Tintin books.
I have to admit, though, that Tintin's hallucinations on page 56 are clever - not something Hergé would have written, but still, a welcome relief from the surrounding drag. Miss Martine was handled fairly well. I think there's room for improvement on her character, but that frame where she asks Tintin to dinner is too funny!

Final note on Yves Rodier. He wrote a 3 page comic of his own, describing how Tintin came to embark on his Soviets adventure.
Unlike Alph-Art, this mini-strip is meticulously detailed and carefully drawn.
One square took my breath away - Tintin is gesturing toward the reader, and his countenance is simply perfect.
I can understand, seeing this strip, how Rodier could have felt empowered to tackle Alph-Art.

Rodier is excellent--in small portions.
Tintinrulz
#34 · Posted: 4 Dec 2008 12:14
I believe the project was just too big an undertaking for him. It would be for many artists.
Abhishek Ghosh
#35 · Posted: 10 Apr 2010 07:54
Moved from another thread:

What do you all think about the Tintin and Alph-Art completed by Yves Rodier ?

a. Good
b. Worst

Moderator Note: Hello, and welcome to the forums! You will find that this topic seems to have been covered in this thread, so you might find what you are looking for by reading back; doing a search of the forums before posting is always a good thing!

The Happy Tintinologist Team
Tintinrulz
#36 · Posted: 11 Apr 2010 03:44
c. other - it has it's good points and it's bad. Mostly bad. The story continuing on from where Herge left off, is dull.
ilovetintin
#37 · Posted: 28 May 2010 03:57
b definitely!!I do not like the ending!!!I don't think Tintin and Martine go together. I rate the ending, b!!! But the artwork was good but not the same quality as Herge's drawings.
AkassisMuller
#38 · Posted: 6 Jul 2010 17:27
the artwork was just like herge's, but i disliked the plot. I believe that Akass is Muller.
Rianna Lauren
#39 · Posted: 6 Jul 2010 17:45
Hence the username, lol. But I'm interested - what makes you think he's Müller? I mean all the other sketches found indicated that Rastapopoulos is somehow behind all this.
snowy_1001
#40 · Posted: 28 Aug 2011 20:35
Eell, I have had the chance to read both the Alph-Art books - the book with only Hergé's drawings, and the Yves Rodier version.
Personally, going through both was an emotional experience for me, especially the book with only his drawings.
All I could think was, "Why did Hergé have to die?"

As for the Yves Rodier book, well, it's a sincere effort on his part, and it is appreciated, too but again, it only made me wish Hergé had completed the book.
The art and drawings made me ache for Hergé's fine touch in each and every page, and the horrible death of Rastapopoulos was something Hergé would have never done, I'm pretty sure, even if it had actually been his last book.
It was sad to see such an important character meet such an end...

Page  Page 4 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!