Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

"Le Rocher Des Kangourous": Tintin in Australia?

glendale
#1 · Posted: 18 Nov 2009 03:55
I have an image of a Tintin book cover in French that is called
"Le Rocher Des Kangourous" the front cover is Tintin and the Captain holding both rifles with the background being Ayers Rock in Australia.
Does anyone knows where this comes from as I doubt this book ever existed not like the underground book of Tintin in Thailand...
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 18 Nov 2009 11:35
You're right that this book doesn't exist. It's one of a series of three or four covers for non-existent Tintin books by an artist called Harry Edwood. His work has only been published on-line (but even so, breaks the copyright laws, of course, so you did absolutely the right thing by not giving any link or info as to where you found the image - something that could provoke Moulinsart into closing down this this forum!)

Harry Edwood's easily the best Tintin pasticher I've seen - the only one who's drawing standard and style comes close to that of Hergé and his team, though his storytelling/scripting in the few narrative strips he's done aren't really up to Hergé's standard. (I can completely see why Hergé's estate have rigourously obeyed Hergé's instructions for there to be no new Tintin stories after his death.)

To save repeating info that is already on this site, here's an old thread on the subject of Harry Edwood's work:

https://www.tintinologist.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=11& topic=210

You'll notice that one French contributer to the thread asserts that Edwood has in fact been working on a full comic version of Le Rocher Des Kangourous. But even if that's true, given the legal position, I doubt we'll get to see it until Tintin comes out of copyright in 2053!
glendale
#3 · Posted: 19 Nov 2009 03:28
Thanks Balt most interesting information and will settle my curiosity to no end.Obviously Harry Edwood has now gone underground and hopefully will remain there.
Balthazar
#4 · Posted: 19 Nov 2009 09:48
glendale:
Obviously Harry Edwood has now gone underground and hopefully will remain there.

Hmm. He's so talented that I don't think I share your hope that he remains an underground internet artist.

But at the same time, I do fully support the laws of copyright and understand Hergé's estate's policy of enforcing them and of respecting Hergé's wishes that no-one should create new Tintin stories after his death.

I guess the best thing, from a reader's point of view, would be if Harry Edwood were to create his own comic books with his own characters, but still in the gorgeous ligne claire Tintin style that he replicates so well.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!