Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Franco-Belgian comics in English

Page  Page 8 of 12:  « Previous  1  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next » 

2Orangy4Crows
#71 · Posted: 19 Mar 2010 01:12
george:
For what it is worth, Amazon has the Cinebook listings in place now to the year's end.

- A couple of new series: Crusade, by Jean Dufaux and Philippe Xavier; and Long John Silver by Xavier Dorison and Mathieu Lauffray.
- Valerian must be on a six-month (or more) cycle as there's nothing to be found other than the initial release.
- The Lucky Luke series continues with The Stagecoach and The Bounty Hunter.

The Cinebook website says 5 new series for 2010. We already know about XIII and Valérian and now Crusade and Long John Silver. Still one left...
Eric
#72 · Posted: 19 Mar 2010 04:58
Has anyone ever published anything by the artist Floc'h in English? the Blitz series, the Albany & Sturgess books, anything? I have copies of a few, but they're in a language that I don't speak (the art is still worth it).
george
#73 · Posted: 20 Mar 2010 00:08
Eric:
Has anyone ever published anything by the artist Floc'h in English?

Nothing springs to mind, though I'm well short of an exhaustive knowledge of what has been translated. I can't recall any stand-alone volumes, but maybe some short stories have appeared in anthologies over the years?

There's a blog (in French) devoted to him: http://lhommedanslafoule.blogspot.com/. A quick scan fails to find anything other than a lot of illustrations for New Yorker.

2Orangy4Crows:
Still one left...

Maybe they got their censor's scissors out and cut five back to four!

George
Eric
#74 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 16:15
george:
There's a blog (in French) devoted to him: http://lhommedanslafoule.blogspot.com/. A quick scan fails to find anything other than a lot of illustrations for New Yorker.

Thanks for the information, George! I hadn't run into that blog yet, but had seen this one also covering Floc'h's work: http://albany-et-sturgess.over-blog.com/

Again, not much in English, but can be useful when run through a Google translator.

Another question: The English Wiki entry for Les Aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec, there's mention of there being some stories printed in Dark Horse's Cheval Noir series. Does anyone know in which issues those might appear? The Besson trailer has stoked my interest.
george
#75 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 16:59
Try the comicbookdb; that's quite good for general comic information.

There's going to be a translated series later this year through Fantagraphics though which would likely be better to wait for rather than plowing (or is that ploughing?) through ebay hoping to strike lucky. There were a couple of albums put out through NBM (I think) a few years earler as well.

George
mct16
#76 · Posted: 22 Mar 2010 21:15
george:
There's going to be a translated series later this year through Fantagraphics

I wonder if they will publish them in actual order or just bring them out at random: book 6 first, then book 4, followed by book 1 and then book 3?

That would of course be a mistake since, as I recall, "Adèle Blanc-Sec" is a sort of ongoing story, even more so than "Tintin". It is necessary to read the earlier books in order to understand plot elements of the latter ones. To cap it all, Tardi even includes characters from his other non-Adèle works such as "Le Démon des glaces" ("The Demon of the Ice") and Lucien Brindavoine, who plays an important part in Adèle's post-Great War adventures.
Eric
#77 · Posted: 23 Mar 2010 06:27
george:
There's going to be a translated series later this year through Fantagraphics though which would likely be better to wait for rather than plowing (or is that ploughing?) through ebay

I'll probably make an attempt to pick up the Fantagraphics books, but in case anyone else, like myself, has a local comic shop with these in the quarter bin, the first four issues of Cheval Noir feature Adèle and the Beast broken up into four parts, and issues 5-8 feature The Demon of the Eiffel Tower.
george
#78 · Posted: 24 Mar 2010 10:26
mct16:
I wonder if they will publish them in actual order or just bring them out at random: book 6 first, then book 4, followed by book 1 and then book 3?

Isn't it mainly Cinebook that do that, and then only with books that can be read out-of-sequence?

In the case of this album, the first volume collects the first two albums.

George
mct16
#79 · Posted: 24 Mar 2010 15:40
george:
In the case of this album, the first volume collects the first two albums.

Well, that's reassuring.

george:
Isn't it mainly Cinebook that do that, and then only with books that can be read out-of-sequence?

Maybe, but it is my personal experience that many publishers tend to introduce the books out-of-sequence regardless of whether it can be read in that way or not and in fact it is sometimes necessary to read the previous books in order to really appreciate the characters, their relationships and some elements of the plot.

For example, "Cigars of the Pharaoh" was published in English after "Red Sea Sharks" and "Flight 714" and the translators have been criticized for taking "Cigars" out of chronology by having Tintin state that he and Rastapopoulos have met before (i.e. in the two previous books) and references to Marlinspike (which he and Snowy are not due to move into for some time).
jock123
#80 · Posted: 24 Mar 2010 16:18
mct16:
many publishers tend to introduce the books out-of-sequence regardless of whether it can be read in that way or not

This is re-hashing what has been much discussed before, but I think we just have to see it as a necessary evil. To be honest, if the first two books published by Methuen had been Soviets and Congo, I doubt that we'd be having this conversation today, because there is little chance that the books would have survived, and there wouldn't be a Tintinologist.org.
I'm not certain that a publisher would go out of their way to have a sequence of books that must be read in a particular order published in any other way, but with Tintin it really isn't an issue to me: Hergé introduce anachronisms by having books redrawn and reworked, so there isn't a through line, significant character development, or story-arc even in the original French. Hergé suppressed Soviets, so for most of the time Congo was as artificial a start for French readers as Crab was for the English-speaking reader; Cigars may pre-date Lotus, but is more modern in style because it was re-drawn, etc. Why get exercised about it?
mct16:
the translators have been criticized for taking "Cigars" out of chronology by having Tintin state that he and Rastapopoulos have met before (i.e. in the two previous books)

Which they had - what's the problem? The books weren't coming out in the original order anyway.
Again, it is always possible to criticize, but to what end? They got the books out for us to read, with only a trivial compromise; Lotus was not expected to be issued, and thus Cigars was rendered as a stand-alone - and successfully so, to my eye.
mct16:
references to Marlinspike (which he and Snowy are not due to move into for some time).

But that is as much as a problem to me as the sheik who is updated to hold one of the Moon books. Put it another way, it doesn't seem any more or less confusing than a boy who starts his adventures in 1929 Russia, and ends up living at more or less the same age to the 1970's - willing suspension of disbelief works for me!

Page  Page 8 of 12:  « Previous  1  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!