Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Tintin and Alph-art: attempts to finish the story (not by Rodier)

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

advnarayan
#1 · Posted: 6 Jul 2004 14:21
Now, I know that Yves Rodier finished Alph-Art, but has any other author or artist attempted to complete it?

If so, is there an edition in English? Whose version is the one published by “Rackham” Publishers?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 6 Jul 2004 14:52
The Rackham edition is a Rodier, I think.

There was at least one earlier version, published under the name of “Ramo Nash”. The art is probably less accomplished than Rodier, but the ending is better (or more correctly, less bad) - although neither is hot in the story department, in my opinion. I can appreciate the effort made by the artists involved, but they do tend to show the correctness of the notion that Tintin had to die along with Hergé. Don't know if it ever made it into English.

Edit: Further to the above, I found a web-page which reviewed the work on Alph-Art, which mentions a third version in addition to the above two, although as far as I can tell from my perusal of the text with my dodgy French, it was only a personal exercise by a graphic artist, and worked the pages done by Hergé: he didn’t complete the story. This version was only circulated on CD-ROM.
Big Ren
#3 · Posted: 22 Sep 2004 17:19
There's also a version by Juhis, an artist in Finland who enhanced Rodier's artwork and translated it into Finnish - so you could say he Finnished Alph-Art... ;-)
Harrock n roll
#4 · Posted: 22 Sep 2004 17:35
Big Ren punned:
...translated it into Finnish - so you could say he Finnished Alph Art...

daaaww! *Groan*

I've also seen another by someone-or-other - only half done but it looks good - which partly uses Hergé's own drawings spliced from the books. Yoko Tsuno makes a guest appearance as Ms Martine!
jock123
#5 · Posted: 23 Sep 2004 16:52
Big Ren, that was a truly terrible pun…

…I am so envious I didn’t make it!!
Big Ren
#6 · Posted: 23 Sep 2004 23:15
OK, I'm sorry. But someone had to do it!
snafu
#7 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 16:34
Here is a speculatory question:

Even though this event is extremely unlikely, what would be the implications if Moulinsart authorized another approach at completing "Tintin and the Alph-Art"?

--
Edit: [moved from second, similar post]
What would happen if the Herge estate permitted another person's attempt at completing "Tintin and the Alph-Art"? Any information directing me to understanding the different roles of the estate and Moulinsart would be greatly appreciated.
jock123
#8 · Posted: 5 Apr 2005 17:19
snafu
what would be the implications if Moulinsart authorized another approach at completing "Tintin and the Alph-Art"?

Huh? I’m not sure I follow what you mean by “implications” or “another approach”…

Anyway, they wouldn’t be able to “authorize” it themselves, as Moulinsart don’t have the power, they only hold permission to exploit certain rights in existing material, and clearly this doesn’t include new adventures…

I suppose it would imply that they had received permission from the estate of Hergé (Mme. Rodwell, largely, and the Fondation) to exploit the characters in a new book; as to the approach, well it would be anyone’s guess…

snafu
what would happen if the Herge estate permitted another person's attempt at completing "Tintin and the Alph-Art"?

Well, we’d end up with another book…

snafu
Any information directing me to understanding the different roles of the estate and Moulinsart would be greatly appreciated

A bit off-topic, but here goes. The “estate” is basically Mme. Rodwell, who is Hergé’s widow, and who thus inherited the Remi legacy of Tintin and his other work.

She in turn transformed the remains of Studios Hergé (his business) into the Fondation Hergé, a non-profit-making educational establishment, which maintains and conserves the art, the archives and other effects of the estate, is responsible for the museum project, and will - through scholarly research - promote the life and work of Hergé.

To fund the activities of the Fondation, a for-profit company was set up; this is Moulinsart, and it has been granted rights to exploit Tintin, and Hergé’s art and stories, etc., to make money.

As far as I know, Moulinsart is wholly owned by Mme. Rodwell and her husband, so it might seem a bit convoluted, but there are usually tax and other business considerations for such a set-up.
Penk the Kraut
#9 · Posted: 27 Sep 2011 04:56
Does anyone know anything about the "rare" Alph-Art edition by Rodier that supposedly has 50 published copies? I own one and I'm wondering how to go about gaining proof of its authenticity. It doesn't have a copyright other the "Rackham 2006" on the inside cover. I apologize if this has already been discussed, if it has please direct me to the thread.

Moderator Note: While we can’t go too far with any discussion of this subject, suffice it to say that the edition you have is a pirate of a pirate, and was made in sufficient quantity to make money for whoever produced it; if they felt like making 50 copies, maybe they did, but they could have made two, or two hundred, depending on how many people were prepared to buy it.

Even if they sold only one, they are most likely in pocket, as it probably cost them very little to produce, as they will undoubtedly obtained it by illegal download. There isn’t really a question of authenticity when the item is a pirate, and that this is an “unauthorized” copy of an unofficial work makes it - if anything - even more inauthentic.

Rodier has long disowned people making money from his work, and withdrew from his Tintin activities as a result, (he’s now a published cartoonist in his own right). This is just one of many “editions” to come out over the years since unscrupulous people found a way to make a quick bit of money from pirate “collectibles”.

The Tintinologist Team
Jelsemium
#10 · Posted: 13 Oct 2011 17:39
Maybe we can get an ending to Alph-Art in the movies?

The Spielberg movie looks good. He might get permission to do something with the other books, if he doesn't already have them.

Or how about another television series?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!