Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The Thom(p)sons: Which books show them at their best?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

tintinophile691
#1 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 10:24
In your opinion, which books are the Thom(p)sons at their best?

I liked them in Land of Black Gold, especially during the mirage sequence and the part when they fall asleep and crash into the mosque (?).
mct16
#2 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 13:24
From your example, I suppose that "at their best" is when their are the height of their bungling. Hmmmmmmm, tricky. There are so many examples.

I suppose that for me it is in "Explorers on the Moon" where they cause an endless succession of problems: getting on board the rocket in the first place because they thought it was not due to take off for another 12 hours; causing the weightlessness incident - and holding on to each other rather than something fixed to the wall; the hair growing so suddenly; their ignorance of moon geography that leads to a row with Haddock. Need I go on?

All this bungling off course means further delays to the moon mission which results in tragedy - almost for everyone. Who needs plots by foreign powers led by Miller and Jorgen when you have Thom(p)sons?
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 27 Apr 2010 18:43
Cigars of the Pharaoh especialy when snowy drops a grenade on the gun runners boat and they escape on a boat a day passes and they say something like "that grenades taking its time"
blueskirt
#4 · Posted: 1 May 2010 20:44
For me it's Secret Of The Unicorn and their antics with the pickpocket.
Rianna Lauren
#5 · Posted: 14 Jul 2010 02:47
I go with Land of Black Gold, with those mirage and that Formula Fourteen thing. XD
Jay48
#6 · Posted: 15 Jul 2010 16:54
Hello,
I just registered and thought I would share my opinion. I think 'The Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure" is where they are at their best (especially the oxygen pump incident! Later on, they go to a friend's farm house to 'get away from it all' only to find more pumping!)
Apart from these, I also think that their aerobatics display in "The Black Island" is funny.
Regards.
Karaboudjan
#7 · Posted: 2 Dec 2010 07:57
I was never a huge Thom(p)son fan- pair of muttonheaded buffoons- but I nominate the skeleton business in Destination Moon - that still cracks me up - and their non stop bungling in Castafiore Emerald.

Their behaviour therein, with their firm conviction the gypsies are guilty, are a terrific parody of Agatha Christie type detectives. True, it's a shock to see how bigoted they can be, but it's an attitude most of the characters in that album (e.g Nestor!) share.
TomE
#8 · Posted: 27 Mar 2014 00:20
I reckon the Thom(p)sons' unwittingly award-winning aerobatics display in The Black Island is one of the most brilliant moments in any Tintin book!
Furienna
#9 · Posted: 13 Nov 2014 10:26
I'm not a big fan of theirs either. But I love this scene in "Prisoners of the sun", when the're asleep and the captain calls them on the telephone.

- Answer it!
- No, I'm sleeping.
- You can't be sleeping! You're talking!
- You know that I always talk in my sleep...
advnarayan
#10 · Posted: 14 Nov 2014 01:42
I would go with Thomson & Thompson, Detectives, their solo adventure, by Hergé & Paul Kimmett (hee-hee-hee - evil laugh)!

Moderator Note: Please take care with your spelling and punctuation when posting - your message has been corrected.
Also, rather than devoting time to evil cackling, it would help if you actually said why you thought that this somewhat obscure story was the Detectives at their best - especially as that would mean that someone other than Hergé had produced their defining moment.
The Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!