Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: Are fans more likely to be male than female, or female than male?

MrCutts
#1 · Posted: 4 Mar 2011 09:11
I sold a few Tintin figures very recently and all my bidders and buyers were female.
I don't want to come across as sounding sexist (because I'm not) but I wondered which sex was interested in Tintin more or whether Tintin been of equal interest between males and females in the past and through to the present?
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 4 Mar 2011 10:08
I don't have any evidence but I think it would be most likely that there are far more male than female Tintin fans. But I know there are many female Tintin fans.
number1fan
#3 · Posted: 4 Mar 2011 20:31
When I used to work in there shop the huge majority of buyers were male.But females do have an interest as well.
Grey
#4 · Posted: 5 Mar 2011 00:54
I would say teenage girls have become very attracted to the series, and more or less, Tintin himself in recent years. Some have grown up reading the series or more likely, seen the Ellipse-Nelvana series. They are certainly in the demographic right now.
MrCutts
#5 · Posted: 9 Mar 2011 01:26
I had thought Tintin was mainly of interest to males. The stories and subject matters are pretty much aimed at boys. The fact that there is only one main female character who doesn't appear too much doesn't help. I have been in the Tintin shop in London on occasions but have only seen men or couples in there buying stuff but behind the counter at the moment it's mostly female staff.
tintins mom
#6 · Posted: 19 Dec 2011 22:23
My brother in law is French. He says that Tintin has an equal following among males and females in France. I was introduced to Tintin by a girl. Tintin features very few females because comic book codes in Europe pressured comic book artists to draw very few females. Belgian comics at the time of Tintin often featured very few females.
Ranko
#7 · Posted: 20 Dec 2011 14:08
My girlfriend and two other female friends of mine are all heavily into Tintin (All in their 40s by the way)
Interestingly however, they were all introduced by older brothers.
Magpie
#8 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 17:05
I am a girl myself (I won't say how old), and live in Canada. I absolutely love Tintin. But yes, I think there are more male fans than female. Of course, I kinda like it. When someone sees me reading the books and asks me "You like Tintin?" I get to reply "Of course!". It gives me an excuse to talk all about Tintin and why I love the comics!
snowybella
#9 · Posted: 8 Feb 2019 00:39
At least at the Tintin exhibition in Seoul, in the shop alone, there was a staggering number of females and only 3 males - one of them being part of the checkout staff...
Shivam302001
#10 · Posted: 8 Feb 2019 09:09
All my friends have heard about Tintin, but few know much more than the bare essentials (irrespective of gender).
In my family though, the female-to-male ratio of Tintin fans is 2:1.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!