Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

"A Dance to the Music of Time": Anybody here a fan...?

Ladybird
#1 · Posted: 3 Oct 2011 03:03
Hi everyone!
I was wondering if anyone was a fan of Anthony Powell's A Dance to the Music of Time novels. I just read Michael Farr's Tintin: The Complete Companion and in his entry on The Red Sea Sharks he mentions that both authors have supporting characters who come in and out of the main storyline. He also mentions that the two both chronicled the 1930s through the 1970s and were contemporaries.

It got me thinking that there are other similarities between the works despite the fact that they inhabit different genres. Both feature a very colorful supporting cast (I feel many of the characters would be at home in either series) with a kind of everyman at the center. Their universes both feature nonexistent countries featuring a Central European royal and South American dictator. Also they both prominently feature the occult.

Obviously the works are very different but now that I've noticed these similarities, it makes me wonder if Powell might have been influenced by Hergé, or vice-versa.

What do you guys think?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!