Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Lake of Sharks: Different versions?

midnightblueowl
#1 · Posted: 13 Feb 2006 14:47
I recently saw a picture of a book of Lake of Sharks on a website. But it wasn't the book of stills from the film, but a cover page by Rodier.

It was really well drawn by Rodier's standards, and showed Haddock and Snowy in a dinghy, with Tintin and the two children in the water with a wave about to crash on them.

There was also a back cover and inside cover (like those blue ones with the portraits found in all Tintin hardbacks), which has portraits of the people from the lake of sharks .
Rocky
#2 · Posted: 8 Nov 2011 10:01
This does exist in printed form, I've seen one in a shop but I won't say where. It was very expensive. I did not buy it.
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 8 Nov 2011 10:40
Herge Studios drew up a comic version of Tintin and the Lake of Sharks that didn't include stills from the animated movie but it was never released to the public.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 8 Nov 2011 10:41
Rocky:
This does exist in printed form, I've seen one in a shop but I won't say where. It was very expensive. I did not buy it.

There’s no doubt that this and other books exist in printed form, and that people selling them will pretty much charge what they can get away with; this is why Rodier withdrew from the whole area, as there was rampant profiteering by others.

It doesn’t make what he did any more legal, but it shows that less scrupulous people will download these things, print them off and sell them.

Tintinrulz:
Herge Studios drew up a comic version of Tintin and the Lake of Sharks that didn't include stills from the animated movie but it was never released to the public.

The book which we have isn’t really made of stills from the movie, as such, as has been discussed previously.

The Studios produced a black and white newspaper strip version of the film, with simple backgrounds. This hasn’t been collected as an official album, in this simple version.

However in the colour book characters are drawn exactly as they appear in the newspaper strip, but placed over backgrounds taken from the movie, so any drawn decor is not present.

The two versions follow frame-for-frame exactly the the same character art, and where there is an addition (meaning items such as sweat beads round heads to show anxiety, which are not shown in the film) in one, it can be found in the other.

What we don’t know is how and in what order the art was created; it could be entirely possible that the coloured art for the book was actually created first, as it would have allowed Studio artists to draw the simple black and white art from the more complicated colour backgrounds, which were already in existence and of course would have given them the necessary perspectives for their drawings.

I can see that the enterprise might have consisted of making a paste-up version using backgrounds and cel-animation drawings, to dummy up an album to length; this then allowed the Studio to copy the figures, add the hand drawn detailing that the characters had in other books (e.g. the sweat beads). Once this had been done, simplified backgrounds would be taken for the newspaper version, and the figures laid on this; colour versions would also have been prepared then laid into the existing backgrounds. Two versions with a common master original source.

But I don’t think there really is yet another, unseen, version of Lake of Sharks, at least not one which varies to any great extent from what we have; there may be a straight, flat colour version of the strip, but I can’t see there being a big difference, other than that, and even that seems unlikely.
Rocky
#5 · Posted: 3 Oct 2016 17:32
According to a page on a Bob de Moor website, the coloured official version of the entirely Bob de Moor drawn story was published in the Dutch Pep magazine, issues 22 to 42, in 1973.
The pirate versions are probably based on this.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 6 Feb 2017 13:14
In addition to the Pep serialization mentioned above, apparently the Dutch television guide Televizier Avro (not sure if that is exactly the name, but it's close enough - I've seen it written in several ways, suffice to say it's the listings magazine produced by the AVRO broadcasting company) published the same 22 part colour version between 11th of June and the 2nd of November, 1974.

Another recent discovery is that the Sunday edition of the Canadian newspaper La Patrie (du Dimanche) serialized the colour book version in 22 parts, from the 15th of July to the 6th of December 1973 in their cartoon supplement.

And last but not least, just to throw in another version, the Lestrade company, who manufactured Stereoscope viewing devices (similar to Sawyer's View Master, but utilizing rectangular cards, rather than discs), offered a 3D photo adaptation in the seventies. The card I have seen is marked "3", but I don't know if that means that there were three (or more) cards in the Tintin set, or if there was one Tintin card, but it was the third in the Lestrade series.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!