Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

"Unicorn" Movie: Moulinsart copyright question

breadcity
#1 · Posted: 21 Nov 2011 02:43
Hello all.

I grew up with Tintin, and consider it an important part of my early literary education! I have a quick question about the new movie.
Perhaps this a very basic distinction I do not understand: how are the new Unicorn movie and the tie-in video game legally allowed to be made?

Moulinsart maintains that Hergé did not want Tintin to continue after his death, and yet this (as well as the unfortunate Tintin video games of the 1990s) seems to be a clear violation.

I apologize if this has already been covered elsewhere in the forum, I tried to find it, but could not.

I've spent many evenings poring over these wonderful forums in the past, but this is my first ever time posting.

Thanks!
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 21 Nov 2011 05:38
Well, Spielberg and Jackson worked with Moulinsart to make the movie.
As for Hergé not wanting new Tintin, he didn't want new Tintin comics.
The movie covers two existing albums with some of their own ideas, but that's still not a new comic.
mct16
#3 · Posted: 21 Nov 2011 12:29
I'm presuming that when Hergé said no more adventures, he meant as in no more comic books drawn by other artists. It's a request by Hergé himself, not a legal matter, and it is up to his estate what constitutes the limits of that wish.
We also know that Hergé and Spielberg did actually get in touch via intermediaries in the early 1980s just before Hergé's death.
Hergé was very keen on having a Spielberg-directed Tintin film, and he would have known that as part of the deal Hollywood would vary the original plot.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!