Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in the Congo: Published by Casterman?

calculite
#1 · Posted: 20 Dec 2011 01:39
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I have searched, and nothing came up. Also, this is a very specific question.
Okay, I have just bought a copy of Tintin in the Congo in black-and-white.
These are the only English versions I have heard of:

Tintin in the Congo-1991, Sundancer, black & white
Tintin in the Congo-?2002?- Last Gasp and Casterman, black & white
Tintin in the Congo-2005, Egmont, Color

The version I have bought claims to be the black-and-white version. I bought it on Amazon.com. Here's the exact page I went to If you notice, when I scroll down the product description claims to be published in English by Casterman on September 3, 1991. But all I've seen have Sundancer publish this version. Also, the picture shows Tintin with Snowy and a leopard in the background.
Three questions here:
a)Why does it say Casterman published this?
b)Is Sundancer the same as Casterman?
c)This is not completely related, but what year was the second black-and-white version I mentioned published in? 2002 or 2004?
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 20 Dec 2011 12:54
Hmm... my copy is exactly the same. I had so much trouble tracking it down in the late 1990's. I checked over 40 online sites and only found it in-stock on Amazon.fr

a) Casterman did publish the book. They also own the rights to printing Herge's art. I think Sundancer just owns the rights to the English translation.

b) No, I don't think so. Sundancer (London) is a separate publishing house from Casterman (Belgium).

c) The first B/W printing was published in 1991. As I remember it, the cream-coloured facsimile (the second B/W printing) was published much later, in 2004.
calculite
#3 · Posted: 20 Dec 2011 20:43
You say you have the copy. Is it B&W, with the leopard cover? Sorry for asking, my copy hasn't arrived yet. Also, is it in English?
Tintinrulz
#4 · Posted: 21 Dec 2011 03:23
Yes, my copy of Tintin in the Congo has an oil-painting of Tintin on the cover. He's wearing safari clothing and a pith helmet and standing in the jungle with Snowy at his side. A leopard approaches from the right. Yes, my B/W copy is in English. It was published by Casterman back in 1991.
dr01
#5 · Posted: 29 Nov 2022 08:46
Have 2 copies of Tintin in the Congo the re-drawn version published by Casterman in hardback-2016 and the b&w facsimile edition published by Casterman in 1991-a reprint of the 1930 edition.

Posted: 21 Dec 2022 21:46
Actually-the rights to Tintin are controlled by 2 organizations, Tintinimaginatio, Herge Foundation and Studio Herge- all safeguarding what Herge wished for in regards to Tintin. Second, Ihave 2 copies of Tintin in the Congo- 2002 B&W edition published by Casterman (reprint of 1931 edition) and the 2016 color edition published by Casterman.

[Moderator's note: two consecutive posts combined]

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!