Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Johny Crossbones: Tintin-influenced Web comic

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

LesMcClaine
#1 · Posted: 30 Oct 2004 05:53
Hi all, I've been lurking around here for a few months and thought you might get a kick out of my current webcomic, which is very influenced by Herge's work: Jonny Crossbones
tybaltstone
#2 · Posted: 30 Oct 2004 09:39
Hello Les - that is a lovely comic strip, fantastic work. I used to check out your 'Life With Leslie' strips every now and then.

Marvellous stuff.

- Garen.
kirthiboy
#3 · Posted: 30 Oct 2004 10:33
Hey McClaine! Great stuff! I really loved the strip and cant wait to read the remaining part of it. The character "Jonny Crossbones" is interesting. But can you tell me why he looks like that? Any background info on him?
Pelaphus
#4 · Posted: 30 Oct 2004 11:35
Les -- there is certainly a stroke of Herge influence to be seen, in (I assume) mostly conscious homages via detail (especially the logo of Jonny-on-the-run!) ... but don't put yourself TOO much in the great man's shadow.

Jonny Crossbones is VERY original, very yours and great fun. I don't know what the comic-publishing business is like for ambitious author-illustrators, but you're clearly top-of-the-line, and I hope Jonny can find a home with a publisher who'll do him (and you) distribution justice.

I'm a theatre man and know almost nothing about your "sandbox," but having had a few books published, and looking at the careers of guys like Max Allan Collins and J. Michael Straczynski -- who write their mainstream novels & teleplays right alongside scripts for comics -- I would say (at the risk of telling you something you may already know well) find a list of the agents who handle the kind of work you do and get one in your corner: one who could submit for you and then negotiate a respectable contract. You're absolutely good enough to "play with the cool kids," and you should.

In any event, great work and keep going!
jockosjungle
#5 · Posted: 30 Oct 2004 18:20
Just read the complete JC archive, a really great comic Les!

Rik
jock123
#6 · Posted: 31 Oct 2004 00:50
Hi Les! What a fantastic strip you have there - I am very impressed. I loved the appearance of the Captain! Hope you can keep up the very high standard - I for one am looking forward to following Jonny’s adventures! And thank you for the tutorial section - your aging technique was a revelation!

Took a look round the rest of the site, and following Garen’s post above, I checked out “Life With Les”, which was wonderful! I have put in an order for a couple of copies of the book!

Thank you for your efforts, and generosity in sharing them!

Simon

Hope this hasn’t posted twice - my browser just blipped, and the text I’d typed disappeared!
Martine
#7 · Posted: 31 Oct 2004 02:09
Marvelous!
Sure, one can see the influence, but I think the idea is very original, and you managed an expression of your own. The main character is LOVELY! I wanna draw him, I think I'll enter your contest. (so little time! I hope I make it)
LesMcClaine
#8 · Posted: 31 Oct 2004 05:10
Hey, thanks for the kind words, all. Glad you liked it.

I worry about being a little too Hergé-inspired now and then, so I'm glad the general consensus is that it isn't too slavish an imitation.

I don't really plan on explaining Jonny's appearance; the character whose odd appearance seems to go unnoticed is a bit of a recurring theme in my work. I don't think I'm the right person to do an in-depth analysis of that, though.
jockosjungle
#9 · Posted: 31 Oct 2004 08:27
Ordered a copy of your comic as well, can't wait to read the rest of JC

Rik
jock123
#10 · Posted: 26 Jan 2005 18:39
Has anybody else been following the adventures of Jonny C.? I’m still really enjoying it, and would recommend any new members who haven’t been over to take a look to do so.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!