Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Destination Moon: Who is trying to steal the rocket?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Harrock n roll
#1 · Posted: 6 Nov 2004 22:37
I've been reading Harry Thompson's great book Tintin: Hergé and His Creation but I was puzzled by one thing. He seems under the assumption that in the Moon books the rival power behind the plot to steal the rocket(s) is Borduria. I thought I must have been missing something but I can see no references as to who they could be - and not a hint of them as Bordurian.

I spotted one clue on page 30 of Destination Moon, bottom left frame where it says "meanwhile, many thousands of miles away". This would infer that they were not operating from Borduria (being a neighbouring country) and were perhaps not even in Europe, although they certainly appear European, and the Chief refers to one of his cohort as, "my dear Baron" a couple of times.

I've always seen them as an independent gang rather than a country/power but I now have a theory that they may have been operating from the US.

On page 45 of Explorers Wolff explains that he got into debt through gambling whilst he was working in America and was approached in New York about settling his debts for an exchange of information. Later he fled to Europe and got a job at Sprodj but "they" tracked him down.

I imagine that "they" are supposed to be ambiguous, but are there any other theories as to who they might be?
kirthiboy
#2 · Posted: 7 Nov 2004 00:54
I too always wondered about this. However, Boris was involved with Borduria in "King Ottokar Sceptre". Maybe, it could be Borduria.

However, regarding the "many thousands of miles away", I dont know how much distance that makes it up but it contradicts with Borduria theory I guess.
rastapopoulos
#3 · Posted: 8 Nov 2004 09:31
The American theory sound feasible. It would be a political comment on the America/Russia space race. The eastern block country (backed by the communists) sending men to the moon, becoming sabotaged by the U.S who will stop at nothing to get there first. The book was well ahead of its time!
Jyrki21
#4 · Posted: 10 Nov 2004 04:20
The American theory sound feasible. It would be a political comment on the America/Russia space race. The eastern block country (backed by the communists) sending men to the moon, becoming sabutaged by the U.S who will stop at nothing to get there first. The book was well ahead of its time!

Except, given Borduria's Taschist (i.e. Stalinist) leanings, I would think its rival Syldavia would be on the other side of the Iron Curtain as a Western bloc country...
rastapopoulos
#5 · Posted: 10 Nov 2004 11:00
Except, given Borduria's Taschist (i.e. Stalinist) leanings, I would think its rival Syldavia would be on the other side of the Iron Curtain as a Western bloc country...

In The Calculus Affair we find Syldavia has lost its imperial status, taking a more Easten Bloc footing in Europe.
In Europe's 20th century history, we find that many of the eastern European countries would change from imperial, to communist, to republics, from decade-to-decade as the Cold War raged.
For instance Czechoslovakia would have been a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (Imperial), then after the war a Communist state (with the occupation by Russia), and then a republic when they got rid of the Communists.
finlay
#6 · Posted: 1 Dec 2004 19:51
It could really be either one of America and Russia; they're both thousands of miles away.
Karaboudjan
#7 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 01:00
The only trouble being that in America you don't have barons and the main villain (whose name is Miller) refers to his Minister at one stage.

Could the Brits be behind this?
Harrock n roll
#8 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 12:14
The only trouble being that in America you don't have barons, and the main villain (whose name is Miller) refers to his Minister at one stage.

Barons and ministers can go to America though can't they? I was suggesting that the rival power/ independent gang were perhaps operating from America.

Here's a bit of dodgy science to add to my theory :)
The sabotage would have to take place "many thousands of miles away" for the rocket to pass out of radar and wireless range allowing them to land undetected (i.e. on the other side of the globe). If it had landed near to Syldavia (Borduria for example) it could easily have been tracked by mission control.
rastapopoulos
#9 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 12:25
"Miller" is quite an American name, is it not.
I know it is European in origin, but isn't there all that Miller time stuff in the US?
Miller being the name of a eastern European-style beer? Hmmm?
snafu
#10 · Posted: 28 Feb 2005 02:52
But look at Szohod in "The Calculus Affair". It somewhat resembles the photos of cities in the Communist world. There is a poster of the leader Kurvi-Tasch, the omnipresent and well-dressed military figures. Looks more Communistic than Syldavia.

Could Syldavia now more closely resemble Yugoslavia, a relatively poor place that Westerners could visit?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!