Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Julius Chancer: The Secret of the Samurai

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

tybaltstone
#1 · Posted: 16 Jun 2013 22:58
If anyone's interested, I have a new Julius Chancer adventure currently appearing in the British children's weekly comic, The Phoenix, called The Secret of the Samurai.

No book is planned (as yet) but it's a four-part story and you can buy the individual issues (75-78) from The Phoenix online shop, if you like.

I've written an FAQ here and there are more posts about it on my blog from the last few weeks.

If you haven't yet seen the first Julius Chancer adventure (The Rainbow Orchid) then The Phoenix have a competition where you can win a copy (I don't think you need to buy The Phoenix in order to enter!).

Thanks for reading! Best - Garen
advnarayan
#2 · Posted: 19 Jun 2013 14:27
Hey, that's great news, but I will wait till the same is published in book form.

And Tybaltstone - earlier in the day I made a request to your agent/ publicist, about whether I could review The Rainbow Orchid for a review e-zine (RebeccasReads).
I am glad that the entire Rainbow Orchid has been published.
I still remember your early posts over here about whether anyone knew Urdu or Punjabi...
I replied that I know Hindi... Did you get any help from native Punjabis, or people of Karachi for your project?
Once again, congrats!
tybaltstone
#3 · Posted: 20 Jun 2013 10:09
Thanks very much, advnaryan. You might be waiting a long time for the Samurai book - in fact it's quite possible it won't be a book as it's only a 20-page story.

Hope you get a review copy for RebeccasReads - it won't come from my agent, so if he doesn't respond then write directly to my publisher, Egmont.

I did get some help on languages, thank you - it turned out I didn't need much in the way of Urdu. I did need some Kalasha - an endangered language, as you probably know. I was able to get help from one of the experts who helped to create its written form, which was fantastic.

Thank you again, best wishes - Garen.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 21 Jun 2013 09:37
Garen has posted the first three pages of the Samurai story online for your reading and viewing pleasure! Looks like it is turning out to be a classic adventure!

You can find it on his very entertaining website here.
tybaltstone
#5 · Posted: 21 Jun 2013 10:52
Cheers, chum! :-)
advnarayan
#6 · Posted: 21 Jun 2013 13:36
tybaltstone:
. You might be waiting a long time for the Samurai book - in fact it's quite possible it won't be a book as it's only a 20-page story.

I can only say it's a pity that one would have to wait a long time to read Samurai.
It's not the pages/ quantity that counts, but the quality.
Although it's possible for me to read the story online, nothing beats reading the hard copy - taking the album with you to bed, losing your sleep... But when you finally do go to sleep, you feel wonderful!
That's the feeling I get when I read Tintin.
I shall try getting in contact with Egmont - but of late Egmont has not sent across books for review to this part of the world.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 22 Jun 2013 11:47
Garen pointed out on Twitter a really cool, but possible to miss, feature of the strips he has just posted for Samurai: if you click on the little pencil icon, you get to see the original drawings for the final artwork! Take a look!
advnarayan
#8 · Posted: 4 Jul 2013 02:19
tybaltstone:
If anyone's interested, I have a new Julius Chancer adventure currently appearing in the British children's weekly comic, The Phoenix, called The Secret of the Samurai.

Just read in Tybalstone's blog that The Phoenix is offering the 4 comics featuring The Secret of Samurai at a special reduced rate. This is great news for all fans of the series in Europe...
I have booked my copy of Rainbow Orchid and am eagerly awaiting the same... I am told it will be shipped on July 13th.
tybaltstone:
You might be waiting a long time for the Samurai book - in fact it's quite possible it won't be a book as it's only a 20-page story

Sob... sob... Please reconsider the decision!
tybaltstone
#9 · Posted: 4 Jul 2013 10:42
Cheers, advnarayan. The Phoenix do ship their comic internationally - so it can certainly reach further than Europe.

As for reconsidering a book version - it's not my decision, unfortunately. My publisher wouldn't seriously consider putting so many resources into a 20-page book, it just wouldn't be cost-effective.

I do have a vague plan to do a second 20-page story set in Japan, so it would link with Samurai, but that is going to be a long way off (I have another full-length book to do first) - it may not even happen. If it does happen, I have no guarantee that a publisher would want to publish it. So, it's quite likely it will remain just as a Phoenix story. A nice little collectible, though :-)

Best - G.
advnarayan
#10 · Posted: 4 Jul 2013 18:00
tybaltstone:
reconsidering a book version - it's not my decision, unfortunately. My publisher wouldn't seriously consider putting so many resources into a 20-page book, it just wouldn't be cost-effective.

I do have a vague plan to do a second 20-page story set in Japan, so it would link with Samurai, but that is going to be a long way off (I have another full-length book to do first) -

I understand...maybe fifty years down the lane when Julius Chancer becomes internationally famous on par with Tintin and Asterix....your publisher will release a special edition of Julius Chancer in a limited edition- and sell it for millions of pounds....50 years from now a special edition of Phoenix 4 set volume will command millions in ebay.
Phoenix ships internationally...bu they dont accept Indian rupees. Usually magazines/ publishers have tie-up with online sites like flipkart, infibeam amazon.in,crossword etc which specialize in Indian markets (thats how i purchased Rainbow Orchid)- not so with Phoenix....

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!