Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Peppy in the Wild West: Fantagraphics Popol make-over

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

george
#1 · Posted: 14 Oct 2012 10:42
Moderator Note: The thread originally had Peppy and Virginny in Lapinoland in the title, as that was what the pre-publicity used; this changed before publication, to Peppy in the Wild West, so the thread name has been changed to avoid further confusion!

Well, to go along with the 1969 and 1992 editions of Popol Out West, we now have a 2013 edition in the pipeline, under a new title!

For those who like to 'fish' on Amazon you'll see Fantagraphics (surely* the premier comic-book publisher in the English language) has Peppy and Virginny in Lapinoland on their schedule for June.

No clues as to the translator; given the characters' names are changed, my guess is it is being redone by Kim Thompson, or one of the other small, team of translators they use.

George

(*for surely read definitely)
jock123
#2 · Posted: 14 Oct 2012 14:02
Thanks for mentioning this George! I'm awaiting information on the release from Fantagraphics, so I'll update you if and when I get anything back!

I'm interested in the new title, and possible new translation, so have asked them about that. Let's see what happens!
george
#3 · Posted: 19 Oct 2012 10:21
jock123:
I'm interested in the new title, and possible new translation, so have asked them about that. Let's see what happens!

I'm glad to see anything by Hergé in print but I have to admit this is near the bottom of my wish list! Perhaps because I've the hardback from the 60s...

There's a little more information on various sites, including Fantagraphics' (with cover). The publisher's comment about how he "finally get[s] to do a cartoonist [he's] always wanted to do" might indicate he's also done the translation. Or perhaps he's just proud to publish Hergé.

Maybe we need to suggest how he'd be able to retire should he pick up publication of the B&W facsimiles? A white lie, yes, but for the greater good...

George
jock123
#4 · Posted: 19 Oct 2012 11:58
george:
might indicate he's also done the translation. Or perhaps he's just proud to publish Hergé.

I think it's the latter - actually, I do know that he hasn't done the translation, as Fantagraphics have told me it is by Kim Thompson (to whom I've dropped a line, so hope to get an update about the book soon).
george:
Maybe we need to suggest how he'd be able to retire should he pick up publication of the B&W facsimiles?

I didn't go quite that far, but our minds work in similar ways, as I did suggest that the B&W book would fit in very well with things like their Mickey Mouse books... ;-)
george
#5 · Posted: 6 Dec 2012 15:11
A wee bit more from the latest Fantagraphics catalog:

A Long-lost Classic from the Creator of Tintin

Hergé is known worldwide for his plucky, globetrotting, strikingly quiffed hero Tintin. But before the runaway success of this character, the struggling Belgian cartoonist created a number of shorter-lived and less well-known series and characters.
By far the loopiest were 1934's Peppy and Virginny ("Popol" and "Virginie" in the original), a couple of haberdashers who journeyed to the Wild West in search of new clientele, accompanied by their trusty horse Bluebell - where they ran into savage Indian tribes, evil bandits, and much more. They experienced only one adventure, but it was a doozy!

The crisp, "clear line" drawing style of the earliest vintage Tintin albums combines with a freewheeling, farcical storyline and engaging funny-animal characters (the leads are bears, the Indians are rabbits with ears for feathers, and the main villain is a bulldog) and gorgeous Euro-album coloring to make this a genuine oddball classic of Franco-Belgian comics, and Fantagraphics is proud to present its first American release (and its first English-language release in two decades).

With the Spielberg/Jackson Tintin adaptations and a steady flow of new books about Tintin and his creator (such as last year's Adventures of Hergé graphic-novel biography), work by Hergé remains in high demand and this book shows a fascinatingly idiosyncratic facet of his career. And it's a rollicking, hilarious, kid-friendly (if you can give the non-PC 1930s "Injunsâ" a pass) read to boot.

Nothing there we didn't suspect but, well, it is nice to have confirmation,

George
jock123
#6 · Posted: 30 Jun 2013 23:19
Sadly this book is now listed on the Fantagraphics web-site as "postponed indefinitely".
Given the sad news that Mr Thompson recently passed away after a period of illness, this may be related to that, so please respect the nature of the situation at Fantagraphics, and let's wait quietly for further news.

Should I hear anything, I will let you know.
george
#7 · Posted: 1 Jul 2013 11:19
That's a shame but Mr Thompson's death is a much sadder affair. Eventually other publishers will pick up Herge's minor volumes but it'll be a long long time before we have someone as enthusiastic as he was who is also in a position to do something about those passions.

A quick search of Fantagraphics' site shows 13 books with the same "postponed indefinitely" message, all European translations. My guess is that some will now be dropped and others rescheduled once the company has got over (as much as it can anyway) the shock of the recent events.

Fog Over Tolbiac Bridge already has a translation.

George
george
#8 · Posted: 2 Jul 2013 01:07
george:
My guess is that some will now be dropped and others rescheduled

Confirmation of the same here. The key part being (my emphasis):

"I believe there were 14 of Kim's foreign language books scheduled in the next season," Gary Groth told CR. "We intend to publish a couple of them, but there's no way we can handle the majority. Some will be postponed to publish at a later date and some, sadly, will be cancelled." Groth stressed positive news for one of Kim's most well-received recent projects. "We certainly hope to continue publishing Tardi, who was among Kim's favorite cartoonists."

George
george
#9 · Posted: 2 Sep 2013 22:59
Amazon currently has all the suspended Fantagraphics books, including this, scheduled for next year. But experience shows it is often the case for them to invent a publication date when they've no hard information.

This quote makes me much more pessimistic.

'Over the last decade, Kim spent more and more of his time working on European books," he says. "So the most concrete and tangible consequence of his death will be to cut back—but by no means eliminate—our European line. We will continue publishing a number of authors, including Jacques Tardi, Jason, and many artists of the following generation [such as Uli Lust]."'

George
jock123
#10 · Posted: 3 Sep 2013 08:09
george:
the most concrete and tangible consequence of his death will be to cut back – but by no means eliminateâ – our European line

Thanks for the update, George.
As mentioned above, we will just have to wait and see.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!