Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

R.I.P.: Géri (Henri Ghion), Roland Garel, Jacques Kamb, Dick Millington

mct16
#1 · Posted: 7 Feb 2015 19:55
February 2015 does not appear to be a good time for veteran cartoonists. Four have been reported deceased within a few days of one another.

First there was the Belgian Henri Ghion aka Géri (23 March 1934 - 2 Feb 2015) who was a regular contributor to Tintin magazine from the mid-1950s to 1980 and also worked at Studios Hergé where he was a colourist and background artist. Much of his own work however is currently out-of-print.

Then there was the Frenchman Roland Garel (1 January 1931 - 4 Feb 2015) whose work is also very obscure but is remembered as a union man who championed the rights of fellow cartoonists, including paid leave, regular salaries and bonuses.

Another Frenchman was Jacques Kamb (2 March 1933 - 6 February 2015) whom I remember from reading the weekly comic Pif Gadget in the 1980s. I know him best for "Dicentim le petit franc" (which would be "Tencents the Little Frank"), a humorous medieval series about how a little man plays tricks in order to get back at the big bully who picks on him.

And then there is British cartoonist Dick Millington ( - 4 Feb 2015). Some might remember his Daily Mail comic strip I Don't Believe It which features a Victor Meldrew-like so-and-so who always grumbles about how things have changed since his day.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!