Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin in the Congo: Egmont to cease publication of the book

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#1 · Posted: 24 Sep 2014 22:41
Moderator Note: This thread has been spun-off from the general Tintin in the Congo: A review thread.

Egmont have dropped Tintin in the Congo from their catalogue, and the latest printings of the rest of the series will no longer include it on the back cover. However, a new publisher will be taking on the book "in the near future". No word yet as to whether this new edition will use the Lonsdale-Cooper translation or the new Michael Farr one (see this thread).

Source: The Tintin Shop.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 25 Sep 2014 08:25
Well spotted, Richard.

It's slightly confusing that the Egmont site not only still lists it, but mentions somewhat enigmatically that it will be "available from September".

The details say it was originally released in September 2005, but it seems highly unlikely that the page hasn't been updated since before then, and that this is just a hold-over to before September 2005.

Could it be that they will continue with the title, but under a different imprint, to insulate it from their children's list, and remove some of the controversy that way?

I'll make some enquiries and report back any information.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#3 · Posted: 17 Feb 2015 08:13
Slight update: it looks like Egmont are releasing a new box set of compact editions, minus Tintin in the Congo. It's slated for release in April (Amazon link here).
MT50446
#4 · Posted: 28 Feb 2015 09:21
It's as if it never existed very odd
jock123
#5 · Posted: 11 Jun 2015 11:29
I've finally heard back from Egmont (on Twitter, so the message was, by design, brief!), and it is as Richard originally said:

We can confirm Egmont has ceased publishing 'Tintin in the Congo'.

No reason given, so it's not for me to speculate; however it is highly unlikely to be to do with the news of the rights issues from the recent Dutch court case, as the timing is purely coincidental.
MT50446
#6 · Posted: 12 Jun 2015 06:21
A complete and utter joke.
It is part of the Tintin catalogue and history, and should remain as such, and continue to be published.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 12 Jun 2015 12:01
MT50446:
and continue to be published.

It's available through the app; it's not out of publication.

Personally, won't miss it, I'd say let it go; like so many things that once were acceptable and aren't now, it's had its day.
MT50446
#8 · Posted: 12 Jun 2015 14:45
I see it's available through the App which is good, it's not so much about missing it but the fact that it's been censored.
As I've said before it's of its time, but I'm sad to see it go .
Lost to future generations
mct16
#9 · Posted: 12 Jun 2015 19:49
MT50446:
Lost to future generations

Given that future generations are very likely to be reading from apps instead of paper books, I should not worry too much.

What I find sad is that this book is being withdrawn due to political correctness and fails to take in the historical issues, such as how Herge's views on colonialism matured over the years from "Congo" to "Lotus" which is more critical and realistic.
jock123
#10 · Posted: 12 Jun 2015 23:11
mct16:
What I find sad is that this book is being withdrawn due to political correctness

We have absolutely no information about why Egmont are no longer producing it...

mct16:
fails to take in the historical issues, such as how Herge's views on colonialism matured over the years

Again, you speculate without foundation: there may have been consideration of all the issues at great length and depth - and it may have come out wanting.

It's also sad to me that you see "political correctness" as somehow sad - removing the "political" aspect, sometimes it's just better to think of it as "correctness", or better yet, "fairness"; you'd rather be offensive to someone just because you can?
You can't walk a mile in their shoes, or live an hour in their skins, but it is possible to try and see the world from someone else's position, and attempt to cause them less hardship, I find. Reading Tintin taught me that...

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!