Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Forthcoming Books: "Hergé le feuilleton intégral" - stories as originally published

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

mct16
#1 · Posted: 31 Aug 2015 14:09
It has been announced that Casterman, which publishes Tintin's books in French, will release a series of books of Hergé's work as it was originally published in magazine format - similar to the recent La Malédiction de Rascar Capac which published The Seven Crystal Balls as it originally appeared in the daily newspaper "Le Soir".

This new series will collect Hergé's work as it was published in the Tintin magazine in the 1950s. The first volume includes the Moon adventures, The Calculus Affair, The Red Sea Sharks and the Jo & Zette adventure Valley of the Cobras.

Even if you do not read French, this will be worth buying since it includes many scenes which did not make it into the book editions, and it's fun comparing the two.

Examples include an alternative version of the paint incident on page 16 of Destination Moon or a three page scene in Explorers in which the Thom(p)sons get lost while walking on the Moon's surface.

This is being done by Benoît Mouchart, the head of Casterman's comics division, and the author of biographies of Hergé's assistants, Edgar P. Jacobs (Blake & Mortimer), and Jacques Van Melkebeke.

Amazon are already allowing pre-orders though I would wait till the current price has come down a little!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 31 Aug 2015 19:47
Demonstrates the importance of following all our channels (Twitter and Facebook), as the news of this broke over there in July, when the cover was revealed! Can't say for certain, but I think we were the first people anywhere on Twitter to feature the story...

Looks like a real treat, right enough!
mct16
#3 · Posted: 3 Sep 2015 13:14
Well, forgive me for being one of the few billions left who does not use Facebook or Twitter.
FormulaFourteen
#4 · Posted: 3 Sep 2015 16:53
mct16:
forgive me for being one of the few billions left who does not use Facebook or Twitter

Touche!

After my own heart...

Bailey
jock123
#5 · Posted: 3 Sep 2015 22:54
mct16:
Well, forgive me for being one of the few billions left who does not use Facebook or Twitter.

I'm not certain why that deserved tones of snark, to be honest.
If you choose to deprive yourself of news and updates by not using two of the largest social platforms, so be it, but it doesn't really show the moral ascendancy over those who do which you are implying, just a self-imposed limiting of choice; we try to take the time to provide timely updates in what spare time we have, which may not allow for the news to be carried in all of them, and it's worth mentioning that from time to time, as some may wish to avail themselves of those updates, but don't know about them.
To denigrate the effort just because the outlets are not to your taste seems to be a less than constructive course.
We really don't blow our own trumpets around here very often, and said nothing about it at the time, but getting to break a scoop on Twitter (which may not be used by "billions", but still is quite far reaching) for the benefit of Tintinologist members and followers takes a bit of work and effort, so pointing out the advantages of using all available channels seems only fair.
We certainly don't demand that people follow all the Tintinologist feeds, nor would we want to, but there are benefits for those so doing.
mct16
#6 · Posted: 5 Sep 2015 23:01
If I sounded snarky, then I apologise, but let's say that I was not too happy at the fact that my original announcement appeared to be treated as "old news" because it had already been announced on Twitter.

Many members of this forum have stated how much they would love to see Tintin's adventures as they were published in the magazines and I am telling them that an opportunity has arisen.

Of course they may, unlike me, have read the Twitter post back in July, but, in case they did not, I saw no reason not to inform them on this forum.

Announcing a major event on one does not exclude the other.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 15 Sep 2015 14:38
Benoît Peeters, eminent Francophone Tintinologist, who has written one of the three postscripts to the forthcoming book has discussed some of the details of the new series.

The new book, although being published first, will stand as volume 11 in a series of twelve. The intention of the series is to compile all the original versions of Hergé's cartoon output, and thus it will actually begin in the pre-Tintin magazine days, with Totor, as well as other "ephemeral" works such M. Bellum.

He says that while the order in which the books will come out may appear incoherent, they each have their own consistency - the first he describes as being "particularly rich in surprises and rarities".
prairiegrass
#8 · Posted: 16 Sep 2015 10:32
jock123
Super excited about this and appreciate the updates/translations! - This is an exciting book but I think the shipping for me (to Australia) is gonna be a killer ... but it's too exciting to miss out on!! Annoyingly I'm going to be in Europe in late October and just miss the release date ... i wonder if M. Peeters will make an exception and hook me up early :-P
Balthazar
#9 · Posted: 19 Sep 2015 10:36
prairiegrass:
Annoyingly I'm going to be in Europe in late October and just miss the release date ... i wonder if M. Peeters will make an exception and hook me up early :-P

Although you sound like you're wondering that jokingly, the release date of books (at least from my experience of how it works here in the UK) isn't all that fixed, unless the release is some major unveiling event in itself, such as for some of the Harry Potter books, for example. A publisher has to pick an official date, but there are nearly always stocks in place beforehand - sometimes being promoted and sold weeks before the release date at book festivals, or being sent out in advance for review purposes, but also finding their way into normal bookshops a good few days early and, even if not quite out on the shelves, happily sold to customers who ask for it.

I'm not saying that's always how it works everywhere or for every title, but if the bit of Europe you're in just before this book's official release date is a place it's going to be widely available, it just might be worth an enquiry or two to the publisher or booksellers.
prairiegrass
#10 · Posted: 27 Sep 2015 03:17
Balthazar
You make a very good point! I'll be in London, Brussels and Stuttgart, so my chances may increase! In fact, I am in London for only a 9 hour layover (SYD - LHR - STU) on my way to Stuttgart but I plan on heading to the tintin shop. Perhaps I'll get lucky if i ask very, very nicely! :-) Can you guys recommend another book store to try? Am i better off at something like a generic one (ie Barnes and Noble style) or more comic book types? I know it's no guarantee, but you're right, it's worth asking!
Cheers!

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!