Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Forthcoming Books: "Hergé le feuilleton intégral" - stories as originally published

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

mct16
#11 · Posted: 27 Sep 2015 23:15
You might also want to try The French Bookshop which is located in the South Kensington area of London. It is near a French school so it should have plenty of comic books.

There is also the Foyles bookshop in Charing Cross Road which includes books in foreign languages, though I admit that it is several years since I have been there so I do not know if this includes foreign language comics.

Stuttgart might include bookshops which store French books, but I wouldn't know. Your best bet would perhaps be a detour to Paris and trying stores like Fnac or Gilbert Joseph in the boulevard Saint Michel.
prairiegrass
#12 · Posted: 28 Sep 2015 02:26
Thanks for the shops in London, mct16; good tips! I can't make it to France but I think you are right and I need to look on the continent.
I'd never heard of Fnac but looked it up on your mention and turns out there is one right next to my hotel in Brussels!

I think I'll do as you guys have suggested and just head in and ask if they have it. I might get lucky! As you guys mentioned it's not Harry Potter and the book's already had it's official launch party, so surely it'll be there the week before launch? I'm hoping so anyway!

I'd still happily order it and pay shipping if I have to as it looks like a really exceptional book.
jock123
#13 · Posted: 28 Sep 2015 11:07
If you are in Brussels near Fnac (the one on Rue Neuve is in a *huge* shopping centre, City2: look for the big escalators which take you up to the shop doors, which are somewhere near to the top of the complex), you should have time to make it (it isn't far, but it's on a side street which can be overlooked) to make it to the Slumberland Bookshop at the comic art museum (Centre des Bandes Desinée Belges, or the CBBD). Details of how to get there are on the site at the link.

You may actually find that the Tintin Shop at 13 Rue de la Colline has it, but you will also be handy for the Boulevarde Anspach which has a couple of very good comic shops down near the Bourse (the stock exchange): Brüsel, which is at number 100, and Multi-BD at number 122.

If heading from City2 to Brüsel (or vice versa), don't forget to go past the Hotel Metropole (unless that's the Hotel you are staying in?), which features in The Seven Crystal Balls!
prairiegrass
#14 · Posted: 28 Sep 2015 13:33
jock123
Brilliant as usual guys!!! I had read about Brüsel but not Multi-BD. I've added it to my map/itinerary. And of course the CBBD has a shop; I totally looked past that one. D'oh!

This is round two for me in Brussels, so I'm delving deeper into Hergé's life and staying in Ixelles this time ... some really cool little places there.
prairiegrass
#15 · Posted: 5 Nov 2015 12:17
I didn't find this on my travels in Europe (or Japan) but I see the book is out now so - time to order!!!
I'm looking forward to seeing what y'all think (150 Australian dollars all up with postage; worth every penny!)
And I think it's time to fix up my grade school French.
I'm loving my signed copy (Michael Farr) of Tintin: Hergé's Masterpiece that The Tintin Shop in the UK helped me with.
The Tintin community is really top class!!
RedVictory356
#16 · Posted: 29 Dec 2015 02:25
Does anyone know whether this collection (Le Feuilleton integral) will include colour versions of the stories originally serialised in black and white?

I am not sure whether all of the colour versions were serialised before being published as albums.

I note that the first volume to be published (Tome 11: 1950-58) does not include the colour version of Cigars of the Pharaoh, even though it appeared during the period that that volume covers.

But perhaps the colour versions will be included in the same volume as the original black-and-white versions (in this case, the 1932-34 volume)?

I hope so. It would be fun to compare versions within the same volume.

It seems likely that they will do this at least with Land of Black Gold, given that the serialised black-and-white version was never completed.
mct16
#17 · Posted: 30 Dec 2015 15:58
As far as I can make out, the colour version of "Cigars" was not published in Tintin magazine prior to appearing in book form.

In the 1950s, the policy appears to have been to only publish Tintin's new adventures in the magazine ("Moon", "Calculus Affair", "Tibet" etc) and then publish them in book form - but to ignore re-drawn versions of previous adventures.

The policy changed in 1965 with the magazine publication of the new look "Black Island". The color version of "Cigars" was published in 1976, though as far as I know it was just a straight weekly publication of the book.

It might be included when they publish a volume of Tintin's magazine appearances in the 1960s ("Flight 714") and 1970s ("Picaros") but given that it is the same as the common book version, maybe not.

Your best bet would be to simply buy the 1930s version of "Cigars" and the colour version and then compare them, like I did. (I even wrote a lengthy scene-by-scene comparison for Wikipedia, but it has since been removed.)
RedVictory356
#18 · Posted: 31 Dec 2015 02:42
Thanks mct16! That is helpful to know. I have all of the b&w versions, but have been thinking of buying some of the colour facsimiles and wondered whether the Feuilleton would include more or less the same material. I think you are probably right that it won't.

I'm interested then in what the earlier volumes *will* contain. Since volume 11 starts with the Moon books, volumes 1 to 10 will each on average contain only 1.5 Tintin adventures! Yet supposedly they will each have close to 500 pages. Admittedly the b&w adventures have a bit more than twice as many pages as the colour ones, plus there's the extra version of Black Gold, four more Jo, Zette & Jocko adventures, Quick & Flupke, and miscellaneous early stuff. But still, that doesn't seem like 5000 pages.

I can see why they started with volume 11. It must have the most adventures of any volume, and some of them include a lot of material excised from the albums.
jock123
#19 · Posted: 20 Feb 2017 14:29
Benoît Peeters has confirmed over on Facebook that, following the emphasis which has been placed on launching the colour version of Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, there will only be one volume in the Feuilleton Intégral series released in 2017.
jock123
#20 · Posted: 2 Aug 2017 11:34
The next volume in the French complete works series has been announced as Volume 9, covering the period 1940-1943 and featuring the original serialized versions of The Crab With the Golden Claws, The Shooting Star, The Secret of 'The Unicorn' and Red Rackham's Treasure (in French, of course).
As a real bonus, it also includes the rare "solo" story, Thompson & Thomson: Detectives - which was a serial text story, written by Paul Kinnet and illustrated with a single image per installment by Hergé.
It ran from September the 24th to November the 12th, 1943, to fill the gap between the end of Red Rackham's Treasure and the start of The Seven Crystal Balls.
I *really* wish I could afford these - it's such a fantastic series! Ah well, someday...!

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!