Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Totally Tintin: An amazing Tintin podcast

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Djemba Djemba
#1 · Posted: 4 Feb 2016 19:07
Hi everyone,
I'm primarily an Asterix fan but discovered a Tintin podcast that made me wish I had read those more, and more carefully, when I was a kid.

It's hosted by two comic artists - one who worked on The Simpsons and another who I think is pretty well-known amongst comic creators (Ian Boothby and David Dedrick).

They go into incredible detail - typically they review one book per episode, starting with some background info about Herge and his life, then go through the comic panel by panel.

I thought it was a great listen and it made me re-read all the Tintin books and gave me a much greater appreciation for the comics, especially the art.

Check it out! You can get it from the iTunes store by typing Totally Tintin into the search bar. I'd recommend starting at the start, but that's just me...
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 4 Feb 2016 23:04
Hello Djemba Djemba. Welcome to the forums (where you will find other Asterix fans!) and many thanks for drawing our attention to this. I've had a quick wee sample listen (simply googling Totally Tintin actually got me to their website without going via iTiunes) and I'll look forward to having a more proper listen soon.
Djemba Djemba
#3 · Posted: 9 Feb 2016 08:06
Yep - that works too - but I didn't want to just turn up and post a link right away and come off as a spamster.

Also I tend to listen to podcasts while I'm going to and from work, hence iTunes. Other ways are possible!
illustration inc
#4 · Posted: 12 Feb 2016 10:29
Thank you @Djemba Djemba for bringing this to our attention. I'm going to work my way through them from the beginning. Seems like from the first one they will go into depth. Looking forward to it!
Djemba Djemba
#5 · Posted: 17 Feb 2016 22:50
You're welcome! Off the top of my head, they start at over an hour and just get longer and longer. But I can't remember ever getting bored during an episode. I think the whole World War 2/ Herge collaborator story was fascinating on its own, plus there was a comic discussion after that.

And since they're artists themselves I learned a lot about lines and drawing and so on. One of the two is obsessed with Herge's way of drawing water and rocks, and now I find myself reading comics in a different way.

Man, I loved finding that podcast!

If anyone knows anything similar, on any topic, I'd love to hear about it.
illustration inc
#6 · Posted: 18 Feb 2016 18:04
Djemba Djemba:
And since they're artists themselves I learned a lot about lines and drawing and so on. One of the two is obsessed with Herge's way of drawing water and rocks, and now I find myself reading comics in a different way.

I totally agree. I've always thought that. The rocks are amazing. Black Island is great for that. In fact, now i'll have to check back on earlier editions of Black Island to see if Herge's rock work was always superb from the start!

Actually Black Island is a good one for water too!

I would also add that he always drew trouser legs rather well! A random one BUT when you dabble in illustration yourself you suddenly find things in others work that look so natural but are more complicated than one imagines.

I'm yet to listen to that episode but I'm looking forward to it :)
Balthazar
#7 · Posted: 19 Feb 2016 01:18
illustration inc:
when you dabble in illustration yourself you suddenly find things in others work that look so natural but are more complicated than one imagines

Agreed! One of the things (in addition to rocks, water and trouser legs) that I always wish I could draw as well as Hergé is people's heads seen from behind. His back views of people's ears, in particular, are always so unfussily right!
illustration inc
#8 · Posted: 19 Feb 2016 23:40
@balthazar you are so right and bizarrely I thought the exact same thing today as I started reading Destination Moon.
It's drawn very much like a camera would shooting over the shoulder of an actor. Shouldn't be surprised by that knowing Hergé's connection with film!
camperdown9
#9 · Posted: 23 Feb 2016 09:38
Hi
Just started to read Tintin and listen to this podcast at the same time. I have had to make notes, there is just so much extra information.
Alex

Moderator Note: Welcome to the forums - not to blow our own trumpet too hard, but you'll find over ten years of "extra information" on the forums as well as the rest of this site...! ;-)

The Tintinologist Team
number1fan
#10 · Posted: 11 Nov 2019 17:07
I just finished listening to these fine podcasts.

Ian Boothby and David Dedrick really know their stuff and are a really entertaining duo.They have also done a podcast on the Marx Brothers.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!