Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Digital Editions: New English translations by Michael Farr

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

harrocknroll
#11 · Posted: 16 Jun 2015 15:10
Just noticed the the French and Dutch versions are €3.99 compared to English version which is £3.99 not happy.
jock123
#12 · Posted: 8 Jul 2015 08:20
The second title in the digital series is to be Tintin in America. No date for its release yet, as far as I know.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#13 · Posted: 8 Jul 2015 19:45
jock123
It's due on the 1st August, according to this link.
Rich7107
#14 · Posted: 11 Nov 2015 02:40
mct16
yes you are right. for instance in The Secret of the Unicorn page 45 Marlinspike Hall is clearly stated as England yet all cars have the steering wheel on the left as with USA and continental Europe.At the end of Seven Crystal Balls they inferred the port is in England, yet should have been left as the original French Port, keeping in line with the police and cars. The Black Island is a cross over between France and England/Scotland and works well. Tintin should have been left as a Belgian reporter.
timothevs
#15 · Posted: 14 Mar 2016 16:17
I was going through the official website when I noticed that there was a "new translation" of Cigars of the Pharaoh available for purchase within the Tintin app on the iOS store. Can anyone confirm if there are any differences between the print and iOS version?

Tintin Site - Cigars of the Pharaoh is ready

Moderator Note:
Hi, and welcome (or at least, thank you for un-lurking - you've been a member for a while now!). As you'll see, the topic of the new digital versions of the albums has been brought up already, and yes, there are differences, because these are new translations prepared by Michael Farr.
It's a good reminder to all to use the forum search function before posting a new topic!

The Tintinologist Team
FormulaFourteen
#16 · Posted: 17 Mar 2016 22:12
So, I perused through the news on this... Is it only being released in a digital copy?
mct16
#17 · Posted: 18 Mar 2016 21:33
Yes, there is no indication that it will ever be published in paper form. For more details see our reviews of Tintin and the Digital Age, a discussion held in January during which Michael Farr outlines the reasons why they decided on a fresh translation.
FormulaFourteen
#18 · Posted: 3 Apr 2016 05:04
mct16
Interesting! (Sorry, I somehow missed your response until today!...)

I'm pretty old-fashioned. I like my books in a good ole' ink-and-paper, glue-bound, hardcopy form! That said, though, this would still have to go on my 'list'...
timothevs
#19 · Posted: 1 Jun 2017 03:16
I just bought a few Tintin digital albums off iBooks store, and was aghast to find that the panels have all been retranslated - much to the detriment of the original material. The album in question is 'The Black Island', and comparing it side by side with the Metheun and the Little, Brown paper versions, the language is completely off. Jarringly off!

Does anyone know what may have possessed Moulinsart?

Let me know if anyone wants more examples, but here's one from page 10, Tintin admonishing Snowy -
Original: "You have some brilliant ideas Snowy. But don't let them run away with you".
New: "The first time was brilliant Snowy! But why did you charge back?".

Ugh. It makes me feel dirty reading this abomination. I will be asking for a refund.

Moderator Note: Welcome to the forums! Your post has been moved to this thread which is already discussing the digital editions.
jock123
#20 · Posted: 1 Jun 2017 10:47
timothevs:
Does anyone know what may have possessed Moulinsart?

The short answer is that they don't "own" the Michael Turner and Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper translations - the copyright in those currently (as far as we know) reside with Egmont, who in turn inherited them when they took over the titles from Methuen.

Egmont in turn didn't have the rights to produce digital editions of the books, and Moulinsart did.

Another aspect is that while, like you, I think that the "traditional" translations are superb - having been made not just by translators with an amazing affinity for the spirit of the work, but in consultation with Hergé himself, making them - to my way of thinking - the "authorized" version, there are those who have complained that the English text does not show enough fidelity to the original French, and that a closer translation (more "word-for-word") was needed, which is what Michael Farr was tasked with doing.

I am sure it was done with the best of intentions, and the MT&LL-C texts remain available in the hard copies so we should probably think of them as complementary, rather than mutually exclusive.
I remain to be convinced however that the new texts do the albums justice, and not through actual deficiency in the translation. The appearance of words on a page - how the artist balances white space against the rest of the frame to allow text to be used effectively, the size and density of the text - play an important part in the æsthetic, and in places the new digital versions have erred against the original look of the books (I outline this in more detail here, as part of another thread).

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!