Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Gomer Goof: Gaston Lagaffe coming from Cinébook Ltd.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 22 Feb 2017 18:48
mct16:
I presume there are some people in this world who have been called "Gomer"

Yes, because Gomer Pyle, the sitcom character's first name was taken from a member of the writing staff.

mct16:
the point is it is so uncommon that it sounds bizarre

As was pointed out in the Facebook thread, "Gaston" is not a common French name, and is seen as archaic; "Gomer" works the same way.

mct16:
I can't help but associate it with Goofy

Well, I can't gainsay that, but it and "goof" are quite common words.

Even the character Goofy isn't even that tied to it as a name - he started life as "Dippy Dawg" (which didn't stop Terrytoons's "Deputy Dawg"), moved on to "Goofy", but clearly as a nickname, as the character was "in real life" (i.e. in cartoon continuity) "George Geef" or "G.G. Geef"; I see from his Wikipedia page that he has gone by Goof, G.G. Goof, and Goofus D. Dawg, as well as the somewhat surprising "James Boyd".
I also recall from childhood comic reading that he had an alter-ego as "Super Goof", which came from eating "goobers" (which were apparently another name for monkey nuts).
advnarayan
#12 · Posted: 4 Mar 2017 14:51
This is good news. Hope other French classics do get official English translations. I am in particular on the lookout for Luc Junior (Goscinny & Uderzo), Jehan Pistolet (Gosicny & Uderzo) and the reissues of Leornard (Turk & DeGroot).

Moderator Note: While enthusiasm is always a good thing, let's not hijack this thread about Gomer Goof and turn it into a "Wants" list for other comics, please! :-)

The Tidy Tintinologist Team
mct16
#13 · Posted: 9 Nov 2017 20:49
Gomer Goof is now available for digital reading at both Izneo and Comixology. Enjoy.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!