Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets: Will the 2017 colour book be released in English?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Zonater
#1 · Posted: 20 May 2017 15:55
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on when the new Soviets colored version is going to be released in English?
I know that it has been released in English for Kindle, but I haven't been able to find any information on when it will be published in paperback or hardcover.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
jock123
#2 · Posted: 20 May 2017 20:32
Last time I asked "people in the know", there was no plan for a physical release of the colour book in English.

I was not able to ascertain what the reasons were for this, and speculation on why is therefore pointless.

This is disappointing, and I would welcome a release; it is possible that something will happen in the future, but at the moment it does not look likely to happen any time soon.
Zonater
#3 · Posted: 20 May 2017 21:31
Darn well that's disappointing. Thanks for the quick reply! I hope they change their mind and release it in English!
I guess I'll buy the ebook version...
snowybella
#4 · Posted: 23 May 2017 02:03
Aw, that's a shame. I was hoping to get one to finish my (Alph-Art-less) collection with a colour version...
Jon God
#5 · Posted: 3 Sep 2017 19:44
Oh, that's too bad. :( I was waiting for an English release of this! I hope they do reconsider, because I will be there for a copy day 1.
Shivam302001
#6 · Posted: 7 Oct 2017 08:53
Well, Hergé did not want the book to be published in the first place and when it was published, it was in black and white.
Hergé did not want to rework the book again and let it remain in black and white.
The colour version of the book sounds exciting but if it is in between the coloured version and the black and white version, I will prefer the original...
jock123
#7 · Posted: 10 Oct 2017 10:44
Shivam302001:
Hergé did not want the book to be published in the first place

I don't think there is anything that says that that is the case - I can't think of a reference to him objecting at the time.

Shivam302001:
Hergé did not want to rework the book again

While this might have been the commonly held opinion, recent researches have presented a different and contrary story, with quite compelling evidence. There's a fuller discussion in this thread, but here's a precis of recent developments, including a link to Benoît Peeters's article.
Hergé would have happily let the book stay in print, but for technical issues - when the book was to be reprinted, the printing plates were deemed to be be too damaged to reuse, and Hergé would have personally had to pay for a complete set of new ones, which would have been costly; added to this, the original art was mislaid, thought lost, and that further impeded progress on a new edition, and likewise made it difficult to produce a colour edition (Hergé was not against it, he just never got around to making one, given that he had new books to write, and old books for which he did have the artwork to make into colour books, which used up the time).
Hergé found at one point that he didn't even own a copy himself, and went to great pains to find and purchase a mint copy of the first edition for his collection.
Over the years it was Hergé who tried to get Casterman to re-print it, and Casterman which didn't want to.
It reached a point where Hergé threatened to take it and any new books to a different publisher, and it took the preparation of a 50th anniversary special edition in 1969 which Casterman made for Hergé to give as gifts (an edition with which he was delighted), that things settled down.
The re-discovery of the original art in a studio cupboard and the preparation of the Archives Hergé volume which brought the first three stories back into print, showed that there was potential for the early editions, and the facsimile books, and eventually the re-adoption of Soviets as the first book in the regular series followed.
Of course, Hergé produced two colour pages of Soviets for the Christmas edition of Le Petit Vingtième, and had the Studios colourists hand-colour a page which was reproduced as a lithograph sold for charity.
I really like the colour Soviets - it's very nicely done.
They have only coloured white space, not the black inks, which some have criticized - for example, the star on the Russian 'plane is always black, because Hergé drew it as solid black - but I think that that is a minor quibble, and shows sympathy for the art.
Shivam302001
#8 · Posted: 10 Oct 2017 18:07
Thanks, did not know about that.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#9 · Posted: 17 Jul 2023 11:38
According to this Amazon listing, an English hardcover edition is slated for release in April next year, published by Farshore.
RedVictory356
#10 · Posted: 18 Jul 2023 01:13
Oh, great! I wonder if they will use the older translation by Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper and Michael Turner (which appears in the physical black and white version already published by Farshore) or the newer one by Michael Farr (which appears in the e-book published directly by Moulinsart).

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!