Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

How is "Tintin" pronounced?

Shivam302001
#1 · Posted: 10 Jan 2019 18:44
My mother first brought this to my notice that Tintin is actually not spelt as Tintin in French. It is something like tahn-tahn? I don't know it exactly, but given the difference in pronunciation in French and English, it is bound to be so. Am I correct?

And that brings me to another point. Is Tintin also spelt differently in other languages? In Bengali and Hindi ,as far as I know, his name is spelt Tintin, like in English. But are there any other different pronunciation of Tintin in other languages?
marsbar
#2 · Posted: 10 Jan 2019 20:51
Shivam302001:
My mother first brought this to my notice that Tintin is actually not spelt as Tintin in French.

"Tintin" is the correct spelling; "dan-dan" is the approximation of the pronunciation (pronounce "t" with the tongue against the upper teeth, rather than behind them).

Shivam302001:
Is Tintin also spelt differently in other languages?

Yes--see "Names of main Tintin characters in other languages".

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!