Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin at 90: Tintinologist.org on BBC Radio, 10/01/2019!

jock123
#1 · Posted: 9 Jan 2019 21:15
Right... Here's the news about tomorrow, that I mentioned here!

It's slightly short notice, but here goes!
In The Crab With the Golden Claws, published in English for the first time in 1958, Captain Haddock made a trip to Broadcasting House in London, to make a radio broadcast on the BBC Home Service.

Tomorrow, for the 90th anniversary of The Adventures of Tintin and Snowy, I'm going to New Broadcasting House, to appear as a guest on several BBC local radio stations! I'll be chatting to the presenters about Tintin, Hergé and the books.

I've made a list of the shows I should be appearing on, and approximate times (if known) for the item. In a small number of cases, I will be recording something for inclusion in a later programme, so don't have details as yet for them. There may be a couple of others, if I am able to schedule them.

If you can't catch them at the time, you should be able to find them for listening to later on the BBC's "Sounds" section of their website (available to anywhere in the world).

**12/01/2019 List updated to include links to the BBC Sounds Website**
I have added links to all the programmes upon which I appeared, up to and including a Saturday breakfast show which was broadcast on the 12th, which I think is everything I have done.
I believe that the links should work for a few weeks, if you are interested, but that they may cease to work a month after broadcast. There is no restriction on BBC Radio on the iternet, so it should be possible to access their website and listen wherever you are in the world, unless your local country blocks it for some reason.

Thursday 10th January, 2019
09:00 BBC Radio Cornwall - David White - piece starts at 2hrs 25mins
09:00 BBC Radio Cumbria - Kevin Fernihough - piece starts at 1hr 46mins
09:00 BBC Radio Leeds - The Stephanie Hirst Show - piece starts at 1hr 23mins
09:00 BBC Radio Nottingham - Mark Dennison - piece starts 2hrs 17mins
09:00 BBC Radio Shropshire - Jim Hawkins in the Morning - piece starts at 2hrs 9mins
09:30 BBC Radio Lincolnshire - Melvyn in the Morning - interview after 46 minutes
10:00 BBC Radio Berkshire - Sarah Walker - piece starts at 40 minutes
10:00 BBC Radio Hereford & Worcester - Malcolm Boyden - piece starts after about 9 minutes
10:00 BBC Radio Sheffield - Paulette Edwards - piece starts at 40 minutes
10:00 BBC Radio Suffolk - James Hazell - piece starts at 1hr 31mins
13:00 BBC Radio Oxford - Lilley Mitchell - piece starts at 1hr 33mins
16:00 BBC Radio Scotland - Newsdrive with Laura Maxwell - piece starts at 1hr 55mins
16:00 BBC Radio Wales - Good Evening Wales with Mai Davies and Gareth Lewis - piece starts 22 minutes in
18:00 BBC Radio Kent - The Dominic King Show - piece starts at 1:30:45, and includes an interview with Jane Taylor of The Tintin Shop in Covent Garden, London.
Friday 11th January, 2019
10:00 BBC Radio Devon - David FitzGerald - piece starts 13 minutes in.
Saturday 12th January, 2019
06:00 BBC Radio Leicester - Jack Rafferty - piece starts 2hrs 46mins in

Streaming
BBC World Service - World Business Report with Mike Johnson - piece starts at 19 minutes
Hope you can join in at some point! :-)
Shivam302001
#2 · Posted: 10 Jan 2019 17:53
jock123
Was it really where Captain Haddock went? I did not know that.

Anyway, it would be very kind of you if you can provide me with a link because I cannot find it in the BBC website. Or has it not been uploaded there yet?
mct16
#3 · Posted: 10 Jan 2019 22:26
Shivam302001:
Broadcasting House in London... Was it really where Captain Haddock went? I did not know that.

That would be in the English edition. At the time, the English translators gave the impression that Tintin was based in England in order that readers could better identify with the character, so Haddock would be mentioned as broadcasting at the BBC.

In the original French, he is mentioned be to at Radio-Centre which I presume would be the main Belgian radio station at the time.
Shivam302001
#4 · Posted: 12 Jan 2019 15:02
mct16
Thank you for clearing it up. Actually, I have the Bengali edition of the book, and naturally there was no mention of the BBC. So, it came as a surprise to me that the radio station was actually BBC.

jock123

Wow,jock123. I just listened to the broadcasts and they are very interesting! You must have been pretty busy the last few days. And I too like the sound of Tintinology. :-)
P.S I think we just got another name to add to the famous Tintinologists list!
tintiNZ
#5 · Posted: 12 Jan 2019 19:14
Well done Simon!.
I just spent a nice Sunday morning listening to your radio broadcasts, and have to say how interesting and informative they are. Well spoken and your enthusiasm and authority definitely come through.
You are a great flag bearer for us Tintin fanatics.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 12 Jan 2019 19:34
Shivam302001:
I just listened to the broadcasts and they are very interesting!

So glad you enjoyed them! :-)

Shivam302001:
You must have been pretty busy the last few days.

Yes! It has been quite intense, especially as it all happened at very short notice (only a couple of days), and then most of the interviews (thirteen of them) took place one after the other on Thursday morning, in about an hour and forty minutes.

tintiNZ:
Well done Simon!

Many thanks! :-)

tintiNZ:
I just spent a nice Sunday morning

Oooh! You are living in the future!! It's only Saturday here - you must have flying cars and rocket packs by now!

tintiNZ:
Well spoken and your enthusiasm and authority definitely come through.

Very kind - to be honest by the end I had heard myself saying most of it so often that I began to wonder if any of it was making sense... :-)

tintiNZ:
You are a great flag bearer for us Tintin fanatics.

Well it's all collaboration - a lot of what I know comes from what we discuss on here! :-)
illustration inc
#7 · Posted: 17 Feb 2019 00:14
I'm sorry I missed these! But, it sounds as though you did a terrific job so well done!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!