Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Rats in The Adventures of Tintin

Shivam302001
#1 · Posted: 14 Mar 2019 04:28
I thought of this topic mainly because I find rats amusing (Jerry, anyone?).

On page 1 of Soviets, you can find Snowy complaining about rats in the U.S.S.R. He does so again when he falls down into the sewer in page 47, and again in page 69, when Tintin and Snowy are detained for questioning. The irony is that rats don't actually appear even once throughout this whole adventure.

The lack of rats in Soviets is amply made up for in The Shooting Star, where a whole legion of Brussels' finest rats come out of the sewers to proclaim the end of the world.
Seems like Snowy did not have a right to complain about rats in the U.S.S.R after all!

Even Steven Spielberg has Snowy encounter a rat in the Karaboudjan's radio room in his film adaptation.

If you find any more rats in the adventures, please be sure to report it here!
Happy rat hunting!
snowybella
#2 · Posted: 14 Mar 2019 04:50
Shivam302001

Actually, when the duo are in the sewer, in one of the frames (I haven't got the book on me, sorry!), you can see a small creature floating in the water - possibly a drowned rat?

In Destination Moon, after Haddock experiments with the spacesuit, everybody - especially Snowy - experience a troop of experimental white rats, which frighten the Thom(p)son twins!
Shivam302001
#3 · Posted: 14 Mar 2019 05:06
snowybella:
possibly a drowned rat?

Good spot! It may indeed be, but it could just have be a rat performing backflips, you never know.

And if I am not wrong, Captain Haddock also called someone a 'rat' once?
mct16
#4 · Posted: 14 Mar 2019 16:05
Charming subject. I cannot think of anything more creepy than a rat.

Anyway, there is also the scene in "Black Gold" when a sailor is beating a rat and Tintin punches him because he thought it was Snowy being beaten.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!