Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The Adventures of Tintin: When did you first hear about them?

lamdeptunhien9x
#1 · Posted: 27 Jun 2019 11:57
The first time I saw the Tintin movie, it was Dec. 26, 2011.
I remember the day vividly. We were all going to the movie theater. I remember sitting in there and thinking: This is awesome!!:)

What about you?
Shivam302001
#2 · Posted: 30 Jun 2019 14:49
I first heard about them after I was handed an album titled 'The Castafiore Emerald' by my mother.
snowybella
#3 · Posted: 1 Jul 2019 11:18
I think it was somewhere in 2014 or 2015 - if we're going to go all anecdotes-y, it was when my Dad showed me a frame from Tintin in Tibet; surprisingly (for me now), I displayed little-to-no-interest!

I only began reading the comics in 2016, the first being The Broken Ear and The Seven Crystal Balls.
mct16
#4 · Posted: 1 Jul 2019 21:20
I grew up in France so it was hard NOT to know about Tintin or to remember WHEN one first heard about him. It would have been sometime in the mid-1970s.

On the other hand, however, since I regularly travelled between France and the UK, I've built up a mixed collection of English and French editions. For instance, I have the English version of "Destination Moon" but the sequel is the French version, "On a marche sur la lune".

It helps to be bilingual.
Scoot the Birbs
#5 · Posted: 24 Jul 2019 09:34
I was first introduced to Tintin in French class when I was in 6th grade.

The teacher put the 2011 Steven Spielberg directed one for the class to watch one day.

I remember liking it back then (I also remember being tricked into thinking it was live action at first because of how realistic the movie looked).

However, I didn't really become a fan until recently (I've been a fan for a couple of months so far) thanks to an internet friend of mine from France.

A couple of months ago, I think in March, I rew-atched the movie, this time with my brother, and we both enjoyed it. The next day we started watching the 1990s cartoon, starting with The Secret of the Unicorn episodes to compare and contrast them to the movie we saw.

Eventually we watched more episodes, though we didn't watch all of them yet (I think there's five more episodes left, four being two part episodes).

We also have yet to read the comics, but sadly we can't buy any from any book stores near us because we live in the U.S. and Tintin isn't very popular over here.

Some day I'll buy them from the internet, as soon as I get a credit or debit card.

Moderator Note: Hello, and welcome! It's always good to read how someone came to the series; watching the animated adventures seems to be a popular entry to the books.
It's always worth pointing out that the books can be ordered in by any bookshop, even if they are not in stock, and they are usually happy to have the business (and given that Little Brown is a U.S. company, they should be fairly simple for a store to obtain).

The Happy Tintinologist Team
lamdeptunhien9x
#6 · Posted: 18 Apr 2020 16:15
thanks all
number1fan
#7 · Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:07
In the early 90s when The Adventures of Tintin broadcast on Channel Four in the UK.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!