Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Apollo XI: "Bienvenue sur la lune, Mr. Armstrong!"

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Colonel Jorgen
#11 · Posted: 26 Aug 2012 11:30
If there is any man in the last hundred years who deserves to be remembered for all time, then Neil Armstrong is that man. R.I.P. to the Columbus of our times.
Shivam302001
#12 · Posted: 23 May 2019 14:56
I was recently going through the reviews of the Tintin and The Moon exhibition going on at ComicsCaixa Science Museum at Barcelona to commemorate 50 years of the Moon landing.

A review drew parallels between Armstrong's and Tintin's first words as they respectively stepped on the Moon and which posed an interesting question.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know whether Armstrong ever read Tintin's adventures or at least knew about him? Because that would be pretty interesting.

I got to know that Hergé and Armstrong were aware of each other and even had a kind of contact with each other. So is it not possible that Armstrong would be aware of Tintin and his adventure to the Moon 15 years earlier?
jock123
#13 · Posted: 23 May 2019 22:50
Shivam302001:
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know whether Armstrong ever read Tintin's adventures or at least knew about him?

Well, as you go on to say, they certainly had contact with each other, and Hergé drew and dedicated a picture to him, so of course the answer must be "yes".

Just when Mr Armstrong became aware of Hergé and his work I cannot say, but he might have seen a book, or one of the TV cartoons, or what have you.

Would it have been influential on the remarks he made when stepping onto the lunar surface? Impossible to rule it out, but highly unlikely.

There are two versions of the story of the, "One small step..." line, and how it came to be: one was that it just popped into his head spontaneously as he was stepping down. The other is that it was a line from a game he and his brother played as children ("Mother may I take one small step...?"). Neither involves reading a Tintin book, I am afraid...
Shivam302001
#14 · Posted: 20 Jul 2019 05:59
Today, fifty years ago, man stepped on the Moon for the first time and took a giant leap in terms of scientific achievements. It was not only a win for the USA over the USSR, it also projected the power of a man's free will. Back in the day, in the 60s, the USA and the USSR were locked in a space race. Both were anxious enough to win it and proclaim their superiority. Many countries had recently gained freedom and were choosing their political models. For the USA, it would show the world how far a democratic nation could go and for the USSR, it would be the ultimate win for communism. And then Yuri Gagarin a Soviet cosmonaut became the first man in space. This helped highlight the need for the USA to implement a still larger breakthrough, which could only be achieved by conquering the Moon. And on the 20th of July, Neil Armstrong, an US astronaut became the first man on the Moon, a scientific discovery which can easily be compared to the discovery of the wheel. What greater form of travel than interplanetary voyages could be? A dream we might very well achieve in the near future.
Harrock n roll
#15 · Posted: 20 Jul 2019 22:01
Happy birthday Apollo 11, Bonne anniversaire!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!