Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Corona virus or COVID-19

mct16
#1 · Posted: 4 Apr 2020 02:43
I am wondering how everyone is coping with the current Corona virus pandemic. Are you stuck indoors all day and if so then how do you pass the time?

My mother and I are pretty much confined to our flat. We do our shopping and, every other day, go for walks around the neighbourhood for exercise - keeping our distances from other passers-by. Our part of London feels very quiet at the moment. There are even fewer cars on the roads than usual.

Otherwise, it is just a case of browsing the internet, watching TV and DVDs, reading books or playing cards.

Are you in lockdown in your part of the world, and if so how are you handling it? Even with all the reported deaths, I can't see people staying at home for the next few months or even a year. Children cannot be home or internet schooled forever and I am starting to miss work and the reassuring salary that came with it.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 4 Apr 2020 15:24
Okay, thanks for asking! Glad to hear that you and your mum are doing well.

We are indoors, self-isolating, as my partner and several of her colleagues have had symptoms - none of which has become a major concern, but better safe than sorry if it just so happens they do have it in one of its milder forms.

It's quiet here too - I live on quite a busy junction, and the traffic is much reduced, and with it the number of irate horn blasts that so many people seem to see as essential to propelling their vehicle through clogged turnings - so there are silver linings!

I'm doing domestic chores and making the meals, so that is occupying time, but I have also been TV watching, internetting, as well as practising my guitar and ukulele (sequentially, not simultaneously), and tying to learn Python computer programming.

I've also been trying to up the content of the Twitter and Facebook channels, not always successfully, but there is always something to do!

Keep safe, and wash your hands when you can, everybody!
Shivam302001
#3 · Posted: 8 Apr 2020 16:44
We, in India, have been in a lockdown for the past 14 days and will remain so for another week.

It's crazy. My college entrance exams and my school exams have both been postponed indefinitely.

My father, sister and me generally stay at home and manage the housework while my mother goes out everyday to manage Covid-19 (she's a doctor).

I am bored, but hey I get to work on my novel and read other books, so pluses and minuses. Given the situation in our country, it can only worsen from here if the lockdown isn't extended. But hoping for the best.

I recently learned that pain demands to be felt. I just wish it comes to an end soon.

By the way, don't you think the topic name is confusing? As far as I know, Covid-19 is a specific disease caused due to the Corona viruses group, not an alias.
mct16
#4 · Posted: 12 Apr 2020 12:46
Moderator note:Moved from separate thread

Boris Johnson, the British Prime Minister, is recovering in hospital after catching the Corona virus and has started reading again. According to some reports, including the Sunday Telegraph, his favourite books are "Lord of the Rings" and Tintin.

The Sunday Telegraph also reports that he "jokingly chided aides for their unfamiliarity with Hergé's graphic novels." Shame on them!

He has been a fan of Tintin since childhood and has even read them in the original French. A couple of years ago, he was photographed jogging in a t-shirt covered with Haddock's French outbursts, such as "Mille sabords", "Tonnerre de Brest", "moule a gaufres" etc. (I can't say I think much of the jogging shorts - they look more like underpants!)

Good to know that there is a Prime Minister who shares my tastes in literature.
tintiNZ
#5 · Posted: 13 Apr 2020 22:11
mct16:
Boris Johnson, the British Prime Minister, is recovering in hospital

Glad to see Boris came through the hospital spell OK.

I like his style, and with him being a Tintin fan he brings mana to our collective interest in Tintin.
number1fan
#6 · Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:14
mct16:
Good to know that there is a Prime Minister who shares my tastes in literature.

Snap!

Pretty much locked in my house endulging in Jean Renoir films , Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films,christopher Frayling and Simon Schama history books.

Stay safe all.There is light at the end of the tunel.
Harrock n roll
#7 · Posted: 30 May 2020 23:16
Well, I'm still furloughed (have been since April 6th) which has given me time to read a few Tintin books (although thankfully, unlike Boris, I have thus far avoided Covid). However, with young kids you have even less time than when you're working, believe me!

I've read the books that interested me and in no particular order (I've not actually read any of them in years). I started with Prisoners (which is my Favourite, so naturally) and then went on to The Calculus Affair, The Red Sea Sharks, Cigars, Lotus, Broken Ear, Soviets, The Castafiore Emerald and The Shooting Star. I've moved away from the adventures for a while and am now halfway through Pierre Assouline's biography of Hergé. I bought it when it came out in 2011 and completely forgot about it. It sat on a shelf untouched for nine years and is now quite dog-earred!
That_one_Sora
#8 · Posted: 23 Jun 2020 17:21
Thanks for asking,

Currently, I'm working on Graphic Design and Reading Tintin along to a podcast I Found called Totally Tintin.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!