Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

When did you first hear about Tintin?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Eivind
#11 · Posted: 14 Dec 2012 16:42
That must have been some time in the early 1980s, when I was a kid. The first Tintin book (or album, as we call them here) I read was The Secrets of the Unicorn, which is still my favourite.
SakuraT5
#12 · Posted: 29 Dec 2012 05:15
When I was a sixth grader, in the year 2000. I confused Tintin for another comic character while hunting for good books in an an annual book expo. Moreover, the books were not in English but in Bengali, it was even all the more tough for me to read the name of the book. Oh, it does bring back good old memories!
hadtins
#13 · Posted: 8 Mar 2014 10:58
I heard of Tintin first when I was three and a half years, but I became a fan just a few weeks before watching the movie. Rather odd why I didn't become a fan when I first saw the cartoons. But perhaps it was because when I turned four or five perhaps, the T.V. connection was cut off and ever since, I didn't watch any movies or cartoons for that matter, and hence don't share the madness for films of most kids of my age even now (except for Tintin). So, no wonder, I must have completely forgotten about Tintin. Thank heavens for the Spielberg movie, or I wouldn't have got any news of Tintin and perhaps would have had to wait for a long, long time to be a Tintin fan.
Ranko
#14 · Posted: 23 Mar 2014 17:18
I was about 8 years old so 1975 it would have been. I remember my parents taking me into the local bookshop who coincidentally were having a Tintin promotion on. (Karma!) I think it was the fact that the adventures were a bit like the comics I was reading at the time. Plus the fact that the shopkeeper gave me a free badge featuring Tintin and Snowy!
I went home, started reading and have been hooked to this day.
MyDearWatson
#15 · Posted: 24 Aug 2016 21:57
I've known Tintin pretty much my whole life. My elder brother had some of the books, and whenever he would sit down to read them, I would look at the pictures with him (I was about 2-3 years old back then). I really started reading them when I was 7. It was the middle of summer break, and I was bored out of my mind. I spotted the books on our shelf, pulled one out (I think it was The Calculus Affair), started reading, and instantly got hooked. Going to get a little sentimental here, but I wish I could get back that feeling of reading the books for the first time. Good times!
snowybella
#16 · Posted: 24 Apr 2017 03:35
I first heard of Tintin when I was about 8 or 9, and the first frames I saw were from Tintin in Tibet - Captain Haddock going up the wrong staircase, Tintin saying that it was the wrong one and the Indian nurse putting plasters on Captain Haddock. It wasn't until two years ago that I bought my first two albums, which were Broken Ear and Seven Crystal Balls. I got hooked when I read Broken Ear, and the rest is history.
That_one_Sora
#17 · Posted: 23 Jun 2020 18:07
I read Boys's life Magazine, one of the Installments had a list of books that Every Boy scout should read, and Tintin was one of those books, it wasn't till 2011 when I saw the Movie, that's when the obsession began.
JJohannes
#18 · Posted: 9 Aug 2020 03:18
My father had been reading The Unicorn/ Red Rackham albums as a kid in the 60s and I got those very same albums in the early 90s when I learned to read.

Pretty soon I got the rest of them!
Furienna
#19 · Posted: 27 Oct 2020 03:55
My brother was a huge "Tintin" fan before me, so I must have seen pictures from the franchise before I can remember it.
But I know that we had audio adaptions of "Shooting Star" and "Flight 714" on vinyl records.
And at some point, they must have shown some older animated series (it must have been the one from 1959-1963) on Swedish TV.
Because I know that I saw some scenes from "Shooting Star" and "Secret of the Unicorn" before the Nelvana series was released.
Literalman
#20 · Posted: 16 Nov 2020 00:18
Although my younger brother and I used to watch Tintin cartoons (Belvision?) on TV when we were kids, I never saw the books till I was in college, in the early 1970s in the USA. My friend Mick got them and lent them to me. I loved them, and so did my wife and later my own children. Mick still has his Tintin books, more than 40 years later, and I still love Tinin.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!