Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Change.org Petition: Please release new Tintin adventures

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Reydeltin1234
#1 · Posted: 27 Jun 2021 20:38
One of my friends made a petition on Change.org, to try to revive Tintin.

Here is the link.
jock123
#2 · Posted: 29 Jun 2021 10:03
You are certainly free to try, but I would caution your friend that the chances of it having any impact at all are very limited indeed.

As discussed recently here, the lack of new books is not down to lack of demand or the idea not being popular, but to respect Hergé's wishes.

Should anyone want to discuss this petition itself, or the benefits or problems of petitioning, please do it here.

If you want to discuss why there are no new books, I'd ask that you do it over in the Why is there no new, official Tintin book? thread.
Mountain45
#3 · Posted: 30 Jun 2021 21:02
Hello jock123,

I started the petition on Change.org. The intent was to ask the Hergé Foundation if they would consider releasing new Tintin stories after a long period of time.
I am fully aware that Hergé did not want anyone else to continue the main series, I am not trying to disrespect his wishes.
I was thinking that what if Hergé made a mistake for not letting anyone continue Tintin?

Tintin books are still important today and it's really sad that we'll never see new stories again after Hergé. I think that Hergé was probably worried that other artists would try to butcher Tintin, for instance, some unofficial artists made Tintin unrecognizable by adding sexual content or degrading his personality.

Taking Tintin with him to his grave sounds like a very permanent and harsh decision for a character that people clearly loved and enjoy, without even considering having other great storytellers the chance.

There are many artists who can do justice to Hergé's creation, but he never gave anyone the chance.
I think the Tintin books deserve to have some chance of having to be written by other artists who can have the opportunity to think of something new and better, and would not even attempt to worsen Tintin's quality as a story or a character.

I'm hoping this petition would be a new initiative that no one has ever thought of before, and that Moulinsart would gain attention of it and hopefully, take my views into consideration.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 30 Jun 2021 22:07
Hello, Mountain45!
Welcome to the forums!
Mountain45:
I think that Herge was probably worried that other artists would try to butcher Tintin

Actually, no - as well as the possibility of worse albums, he was quite clear that there were probably other artists and writers who could produce better Tintin books than he could.
However, he saw the Tintin books as fundamentally an expression of him, both the strengths and the weaknesses, and that was why he wanted them to end - Tintin was him, and he was Tintin, and without him in the equation, it just wouldn't amount to the same thing.
This is the reason that his widow won't go against his wishes.
It's not a case of being right or wrong, of whether his request was or was not a mistake, it's emotional, and empathetic.
She's acutely aware that this is disappointing to many, many people, and it would undoubtedly be an extremely lucrative option to allow new books (the print runs on the new Asterix books have been phenomenal, for example).
However, to do so would take an unbearable degree of heart-ache on her part: if you feel disappointed that there are no new books, think how bad she'd feel if she felt that she'd betrayed Hergé?

So, again, I say that while I wish you every success, and there's nothing impossible about petioning for new books and getting a positive result, that it is highly unlikely that the position will change in the curent circumstances.
Mountain45
#5 · Posted: 1 Jul 2021 01:29
jock123
Thank you for your opinion, however, I believe that my cause is just as important as Fanny's decision to protect the authorization of Tintin. As of today, my petition has received some more supporters. If it gets a response from Moulinsart, then I'm hoping that it may cause some change, if not huge. It may even influence some decisions.

To answer your part about Tintin books, I've read all of them and I'm waiting to see where our heroes would end up next. But I'm hopeful that there is still light at the end of this tunnel, as there are some people who would still love to see more Tintin books.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 1 Jul 2021 10:09
Mountain45:
I believe that my cause is just as important as Fanny's decision to protect the authorization of Tintin

I don't doubt that you do; I can't agree with you - would you decide to go against a promise made to a relative, just because someone asked you on-line?

You have to remember that it isn't Moulinsart's decision to make, it rests entirely with Fanny - she is the only person who decides.

Telling someone out-right that they are wrong and you are correct, especially on a point of ethics, is a very bold strategy, and might have the opposite effect to that which you want.

Mountain45:
there are some people who would still love to see more Tintin books.

Again, I've never said otherwise; but what they want, and what the person who is in control want are two different things.

Personally, and to honest, were I to undertake something like this, I'd take a far more sympathetic tone and approach, and try to persuade gently, rather than saying to someone who is basically greiving: "My feelings are as important as your feelings, and I want you to do something which makes you feel bad to make me feel better". That seems counterproductive to me. But, who knows? ;-)
Mountain45
#7 · Posted: 1 Jul 2021 16:39
jock123
Thank you, I will consider your advice. And again, I am hoping that this petition will lead to a little bit of change somewhere, if not something big. My first step is not to ask for new books right away, and expect Fanny to ignore her personal feelings and just consider my request. This is meant to be a peaceful situation.
mct16
#8 · Posted: 2 Jul 2021 00:14
I have to agree with Jock123 that this petition is unlikely to change Fanny's mind.

Hergé's Tintin set the standard for a host of subsequent French and Belgian comic series, many of which include the same drive for humour and adventure and some of the best have been translated into English.
Have you thought of trying those?

Click here for my review of Belgian comics available in English and online and many other suggestions in other posts and a link to cinebook.co.uk which sells them in paperback.
Mountain45
#9 · Posted: 2 Jul 2021 16:32
mct16
Hello, thank you for the suggestions. I tried to look for books that were similar to Tintin. I looked at "Blake and Mortimer" but I couldn't find any online PDF copies, and there is no point in paying extra money for them, even finding the information I need to look for that gives information on the comic books was difficult.
jock123
#10 · Posted: 3 Jul 2021 11:50
Mountain45:
I looked at "Blake and Mortimer" but I couldn't find any online PDF copies, and there is no point in paying extra money for them

Again, this adds another layer of complication - you want books to be free?

There are all sorts of things I would like to have, but I just have to accept that if they cost more than I can afford to pay, that they aren't just mine for the taking.

It's not a great incentive for anyone to write a book if the audience just takes them; what would be the benefit to those involve to create new Tintin books if you think that there will be nothing in it to pay the publisher, artists and authors involved?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!