Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets: Colour edition in January 2017

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

Bukowski
#41 · Posted: 21 Oct 2021 19:19
Combined two consecutive posts...

Richard1631978:
Are any of the old Studio staff involved?

Wouldn't the "old studio staff" all be over a hundred years old now?

What's wrong with an anti-Communist Tintin book? The communists were evil totalitarians and Herge was right to condemn them!

Moderator Note: Hi! There's no need to make consecutive posts - if you think of another point, you can always update your previous message.

Secondly, it's always helpful if you use the quote function, but especially so when you're responding - as with the colourist question - to a post that was made more than five years ago, five pages back, which needs some context for readers (highlight a brief section of the text, and use the "Quote" tool - it'll format the excerpt and give the name of the poster in the reply box).

The "What's wrong with an anti-Communist...?" question hasn't got a context either, so it might be useful to expand on who you were replying to.

The Tintinologist Team
jock123
#42 · Posted: 21 Oct 2021 23:13
Bukowski:
all be over a hundred years old now?

Not at all - Mme Rodwell was a colourist for the Studios (it's how she and Hergé met) for example, and she's not nearly 100! ;-)
Bukowski
#43 · Posted: 22 Oct 2021 00:17
Any "context" of the Bolshevik regime would mention millions of innocent deaths and the horrors of the Gulag. Herge and publisher didn't criticize the Bolsheviks enough!

Moderator Note: You are being asked to give a context for your remark: if, as it appears, it is in response to something that someone said in post, then you need to say to whom, and to what, you are responding.
If it isn't a response to someone else, then you need to give your remark a context, otherwise it's just a question out of the blue. So, to clarify, we'd ask you "Who, or what, in this thread has suggested that an anti-Communist book is a bad thing...?"

The Tintinologist Team
jock123
#44 · Posted: 22 Oct 2021 09:45
Bukowski:
Any "context" of the Bolshevik regime would mention millions of innocent deaths and the horrors of the Gulag.

It's remarkable that a children's comic offered any political criticism, of any kind, don't you think?
You're also perhaps not thinking in terms of the era in which this was being drawn - the word "Gulag" hadn't even been coined (from Glavnoye Upravleniye Lagerey) when the story started in 1929, being used from 1930 onwards.
The book which Hergé used as his reference (Joseph Douillet's Moscou sans Voiles: Neuf ans de travail au pays des Soviets [1928]) was as up-to-date a critique of the regime as could be had at the time (and bear in mind that Douillet had left Russia in 1926, so he was writing and publishing it with a gap of two years), but it didn't, and indeed couldn't, contain information on millions of deaths taking place in Gulags, because that was yet to come (up to 1.7m deaths between 1930 and 1953 - the death of Stalin).
LeLotusBleu
#45 · Posted: 22 Oct 2021 13:21
jock123:
If there was no interest fron Hergé or Wallez in making the putative character a scout, what exactly is Huld supposed to have influenced...?

I don't follow your logic there at all. Yes Huld was met by Scouts and wore a Scout uniform on his second, considerably shorter journey, but on his first and major trip he was characterised as a globetrotting teenage newspaper correspondent, which sounds a lot like Tintin.
Bukowski
#46 · Posted: 30 Oct 2021 02:13
Bukowski
I apologize!
jock123
#47 · Posted: 8 Apr 2022 09:04
LeLotusBleu:
on his first and major trip he was characterised as a globetrotting teenage newspaper correspondent

Apologies for the lateness, but somehow I only just saw this.
We'll have to agree to disagree about this - it appears to me that everyone from Huld down (I never met him, but I have spoken at length with a newspaper reporter who did) makes the link to his having been a Scout the defining connection between himself and Tintin; his trip may not have been done in uniform, but it was made because he was a Scout, under the auspices of the Scouting movement. You are the first person I know that has characterized him as having been a reporter rather than a Scout, and even were he to be called such, I doubt that it was at the expense of also making the connection to the Scout movement.
But I am happy to be proven wrong if you have the evidence - that's what we're here for, to separate the legends from the truths!
LeLotusBleu
#48 · Posted: 13 Apr 2022 15:50
It's Philippe Goddin who characterised Huld as a newspaper correspondent. The first trip was undertaken because he won a newspaper competition, and was required to report on his travels. I can't find any reference to it (as opposed to the second trip) having any scouting connection. In fact, Goddin doesn't even mention scouts, so he's definitely not making that the defining connection or even any sort of connection. His argument (and it is his, not mine) is based on a teenager travelling the world and reporting his adventures for a newspaper. Here's the relevant quote from (my bad translation of) his Soviets preface.

"In 1928, this young redhead won the competition organized by the Danish daily Politiken as part of the centenary of the birth of Jules Verne. He had won a world tour, which he was going to carry out from 1st March to 14th April, 1928. Politiken's special envoy around the world, he was supposed to report the adventures for "his" newspaper.

His report, naturally entitled Around the World in 44 Days, was published in October 1928 by the Librairie Hachette, in Paris, before being translated into several languages."

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!