Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

jock123
#41 · Posted: 31 Jan 2023 08:43
BossonHH:
After 17 years of searching for the Icelandic DVD release

That's dedication...!
BossonHH:
I can confirm they do exist

Excellent - what are the details? Who were they licensed from, and what company produced them? Are they in the episodic format, or presented as the compilation movies? Do they have catalogue numbers and copyright information?
Looking forward to reading more!
BossonHH
#42 · Posted: 31 Jan 2023 15:04
The label is Bergvík. Catalogue numbers are 1141-1150, so there are ten DVDs.

1141 - Lake of Sharks
1142 - Red Rackham's Treasure
1143 - The Secret of the 'The Unicorn'
1144 - The Black Island
1145 - Prisoners of the Sun (Part 2 of the movie)
1146 - The Calculus Affair
1147 - Destination Moon / Explorers on the Moon
1148 - The Seven Crystal Balls (Part 1 of the movie)
1149 - The Crab with the Golden Claws
1150 - The Shooting Star

They are the compilation movies. There is no info on licensing and the funny thing is, my DVDs all have a copyright of 2011 (the covers say 2005), so there must have been another batch before.

Cover Backcover Disc Full set
jock123
#43 · Posted: 31 Jan 2023 22:35
Thanks very much, that's really helpful and has dispelled my earlier doubts!
Well done for tracking them down - I see from at least one Icelandic Tintin fan group that they are difficult to get even in Iceland!
They appear to have been a very short-lived item, and Bergvík went on to distribute the Ellipse-Nelvana series, I imagine that that's what put paid to them.
Interesting to note that one actor - Eggert Thorleifsson - did all the voices.
I also see that the 1969 feature film gets an interesting hybrid title of Fangarnir í sólhofinu, which translates as Prisoners of the Sun Temple, combining elements of the "Prisoners of the Sun" from English, and "The Temple of the Sun" from the French.
BossonHH
#44 · Posted: 1 Feb 2023 05:33
That sounds really interesting. Where can I find that fan group, as I would like to read that for myself?
Mikael Uhlin
#45 · Posted: 1 Feb 2023 07:08
BossonHH:
1148 - The seven crystal balls (Part 1 of the movie)

1145 - Prisoners of the sun (Part 2 of the movie)

Where in the storyline did they partition the film since The seven crystal balls-bit only makes up the first 20 minutes of the full length movie?
jock123
#46 · Posted: 1 Feb 2023 12:23
BossonHH:
Where can I find that fan group, as I would like to read that for myself?

As far as I can tell (the problem of doing late-night Google searching in an unfamiliar language, with only Google translate and very rusty, long-unused, memories of reading Njal's Saga as part of an Old Norse course at university, is that going back through my browser history it's hard to pick up what I gleaned where, and if I was interpreting what I was reading properly!) it was here; it's only a short exchange, but when the thread took place, four years ago, someone was asking if the stories were ever out on DVD, so even amongst Icelandic fans the releases didn't (to me) seem well known.

This Icelandic comics blog, Hrakfarir & Heimskupör - Verulega slæma myndasögubloggið has a useful page giving a potted history of Tintin in Icelandic, which mentions the DVDs.

Six stories (presumably, given the date, the Belvision adaptaions) were first released on tape by Bergvík in 1988, as mail-order/ video club selections, with the Thorleifsson dubbed Icelandic soundtrack. These were followed "two years later" (so c. 1990) by a further four. These stories were also shown on Icelandic TV as children's programmes.
It then says that Bergvík went on to release "improved digital versions" on DVD in 2006, with new dubbing by Felix Bergsson and Þorsteinn Backman.
There's no mention of a DVD release in 2005 with the Thorleifsson dub, which is what you appear to have, and my suspicion is that the "improved" release with the new soundtrack was Bergvík's release of the Ellipse-Nelvana series; there would it seems only have been a very brief window in which to get the Thorleifsson DVD versions, which would explain why they had such a mythical reputation, and why anyone searching for them after that date was presented with Ellipse-Nelvana DVDs.
BossonHH
#47 · Posted: 1 Feb 2023 16:54
Thanks for information. I checked the websites and yes, you are right with your information, but I still wonder, why my DVDs do have a copyright of 2011.
Mikael Uhlin:
Where in the storyline did they partition the film

The Prisoners of the Sun movie was cut in the middle at 37 minutes.
Mikael Uhlin
#48 · Posted: 1 Feb 2023 18:15
BossonHH:
The prisoners of the sun movie was cut in the middle at 37 minutes.

That seems logical. Thanks
ayster
#49 · Posted: 11 Jul 2023 21:25
Hi,
New to the forum, thought I'd let you know, if you don't already, that some of the Belvision cartoons are available on Amazon Prime Video, in the UK at least. They are The Calculus Affair and Prisoners of the Sun, and both are available in HD!
Not 100% sure if they are the same as the 5 minute cartoon versions, but they are credited to Belvision and Studios Belvision, so I'm assuming they are.
They also have Tintin and the Lake of Sharks, and the 90's cartoon series The Adventures of Tintin in HD.

Regards,
A.

Page  Page 5 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!