Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Characters "breaking the fourth wall"?

Kickers
#1 · Posted: 14 Jun 2017 11:44
Anyone noticed how sometimes characters break the fourth wall?
The most absurd of this is when at the end of Secret of the Unicorn when Tintin not only talks directly to the audience, but even announces his up-coming book (I assume in this moment, he's no longer a character, but now a narrator).
In King Ottokar's Sceptre at the end, Tintin gives us a wink (although some claim it's not to anyone particular.)
I known Snowy has done it several times, and I'm sure I've missed a few others.
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 17 Jun 2017 08:57
Kickers Tintin showing us readers to be quiet on the cover of The Castafiore Emerald is another example
luca
#3 · Posted: 5 Nov 2020 23:13
Cigars has that sheik who owns a copy of Destination Moon (or some other adventure, depending on how old your copy is)
kipkuhmi
#4 · Posted: 16 Apr 2023 08:22
In "Prisoners of the Sun" we see Haddock trying to jump over a long table to show his fitness. However, he hits the end of the table, the table tips over and all the fruit on the table is raining down on him. He turns to the viewer asking "Do you find this funny?" (I don't know the exact quote in the English version.)
Of course one could argue that the question is directed at Tintin who is watching the scene. But I don't consider this very likely, because first Haddock is looking directly at the reader, and second he would not accuse Tintin of laughing at other people's misfortune because he knows Tintin would never do that.
mct16
#5 · Posted: 16 Apr 2023 17:27
kipkuhmi:
he would not accuse Tintin of laughing at other people's misfortune because he knows Tintin would never do that.

Actually, it does happen: When "7 Crystal Balls" was originally published in the newspapers, there is a scene where Tintin and Haddock are looking for Calculus and Haddock gets his leg caught in a wolf trap. As he helps Haddock out of the trap, Tintin can't help but smile at the situation and Haddock's grumblings about how he had to be caught in the trap and not the intruder from the previous night.

This scene was not included in the book edition but can be found in special editions of the newspaper strips.
jock123
#6 · Posted: 17 Apr 2023 12:25
mct16:
Actually, it does happen

A-ha! I knew that you would come round to my way of thinking eventually...! ;-)

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!