Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

Who here likes Classical music...?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

JuvenileTintinFan
#1 · Posted: 22 Jan 2005 07:12
Hi, I love listening to classical music, is there anybody out there who likes to discuss it?
MoonRocket
#2 · Posted: 22 Jan 2005 23:17
Well, I guess I like to play classical music with my orchestra -- I play the cello in a high school orchestra in Ann Arbor, Michigan -- we were rated as one of the top seven in the country a year or so ago!

Have any favorite composers? Mine are Bach, Vivaldi, Dvorak, and many others.
thmthm
#3 · Posted: 23 Jan 2005 03:11
I play classical guitar - not professionally but its a serious hobby - did a master class once with Scott Tenant who decided my nails weren't the correct shape and proceeded to shape them infront of 150 people! After which people came over and took digital pics of my hand! I didn't know if I should cry or laugh...
Piazolla's Tango's rank high up for me, Villa-Lobos is another. Bach pieces on guitar are deceptive, they look easy on paper but the positions are so close you can get into a train-wreck real fast...
Two years ago I saw Birelli Lagrene quartet (french gypsy guitar player) play for the Django Reinhardt's anniversary tribute concert - pure adrenaline rush...unbelievable.
Flamenco is another interest of mine but it gets redundant really fast ...saw Paco de Lucia last year which was good, wanted to see the great before he stopped playing...he's gettin up there
MoonRocket
#4 · Posted: 23 Jan 2005 15:10
I tried playing guitar, once... You sound like you're great at it! My guitar hobby lasted about three months, maybe four.
JuvenileTintinFan
#5 · Posted: 25 Jan 2005 08:18
Bach pieces on guitar are deceptive, they look easy on paper but the positions are so close you can get into a train-wreck real fast...

Have you tried Toccata and Fugue in A minor?

By the way, Moonrocket, Wow! You must have been good.

My favourite composers are Vivaldi, Handel, Bach and Gluck (since he wrote viola concertos for me to play! People are so discriminate about the instrument these days.)

-JFT
MoonRocket
#6 · Posted: 26 Jan 2005 17:22
Violas are awesome instruments; they definitely don't get enough recognition in anything these days (and even back when good music was being written).

The orchestra I'm in right now is playing Mars and Jupiter by Holst... I'm hoping that we can pull it all together by Orchestra Night in Ann Arbor... (in Feb.) You see, my high school is rivals (both athletically and musically) with the other high school in the area, and we have to sound as good as we can, as we are the last to play for the night!
snafu
#7 · Posted: 27 Feb 2005 19:39
I pretty much listen to all classical music after the Baroque era. Although I do like the masters like Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Chopin, etc., I am nowadays more interested in lesser-known works. I just recorded Puccini's "Turandot", Mahler's "Resurrection Symphony", and Rimsky-Korsakov's Third Symphony. I am not sharing these with anyone because I like them so much!!
vlghltlh
#8 · Posted: 10 Apr 2005 04:22
Yes! For me, it's mostly piano, violin, and orchestral music - especially 20th century classical (I have to say my favorite composers are Ravel and Stravinsky). I've played both instruments in orchestra for about 8 years...and miss it terribly now (had to quit because of a lack of time, but I hope to join orchestra again when I go to college this fall).

I can't really decide which solo pieces are my favorite, but probably my favorite orchestral pieces we played was Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, followed by Holst's Planets (Holst and I have the same birthday, btw), Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade, and Brahms' 2nd, and many other lesser-heard works, such as John Adams' Chairman Dances.

I also often like learning the more lesser-known things, snafu. And I also have to admit I've also become more interested in opera after seeing Castafiore keep bellowing out the Jewel Song all the time, lol!

Hope the Orchestra Night went well, MoonRocket!
MoonRocket
#9 · Posted: 10 Apr 2005 23:10
Thanks, orchestra night went better than ever expected. It was amazing. Our next concert is in May (it's a concerto concert), plus we're playing Tchaikovsky's Finale movement from some symphony or another...

Next, we're planning on a trip to Vienna next spring (for Mozart's 300th birthday, or something like that). I am SO excited. Europe sounds like a cool place to visit...
Charles
#10 · Posted: 3 May 2005 04:14
I play classical guitar - not professionally but its a serious hobby - did a master class once with Scott Tenant who decided my nails weren't the correct shape and proceeded to shape them infront of 150 people! After which people came over and took digital pics of my hand! I didn't know if I should cry or laugh...

Hmm... wow! That's rather embarrassing! From what I've heard, master classes often get rather odd (my teacher told me once about a master class he had with Christopher Parkening, who hated the key a piece was arranged in).

I'm also a classical guitarist, also a serious amateur. I agree with you about Bach, but I love it so much I still work on it! Also, I'm fond of Agustin Barrios.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!