Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Lake of Sharks: DVD now available in Australia

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Tintinrulz
#1 · Posted: 11 Feb 2005 07:50
Today I went to JB Hi-Fi and saw Tintin and The Lake of Sharks DVD for sale at $12.99. If you wish to buy this movie for collector's purposes buy it now. It is slightly cheaper at Sanity. Strangely enough it goes by the name: The Mystery at Shark Lake. You can also buy it at Ezydvd.
beinke
#2 · Posted: 11 Feb 2005 14:18
$12.99? Bargain! I'll be grabbin' that for sure.
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 11 Feb 2005 14:54
Done a bit of digging on this release...

Also available in both R1 NTSC and R2 PAL for anyone who wants it. It's a french/canadian release that is poor quality and entirely in french, all the menus are in french but there is an english soundtrack.

For the Australian version, Atlantic DVD seems to be the cheapest (http://atlanticdvd.com.au/index_stuffer.cfm?view.cfm?id=12500~content )

For DVD fans like myself, this Australian release appears to have a dolby 2.0 soundtrack (as opposed to the mono on the R1/2)

The official Magna website has the following on the release

[urlc=http://www.magnapacific.com.au/detail.cfm?code=11466]http://www. magnapacific.com.au/detail.cfm?code=11466
[/url]

MOST EXCITING NEWS!!!!!!

Magna calls this title Tintin Volume 1! Since they already have a release of the Ellipse series by another distributor, it would seem to expect more Tintin related releases in the future. Possibly the Belvision releases (at a guess)

Could someone buying this give us some info on the quality, menus, etc. So i know whether to upgrade my R1 DVD

Rik
beinke
#4 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 00:12
I might buy it today while i'm in town. I'll be sure to leave something here if i do.
Tintinrulz
#5 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 00:20
I hope this ushers in the DVD releases of Blue Oranges and Golden Fleece in English!
beinke
#6 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 08:39
Yeah I bought the PAL version today. It's pretty average quality, about the same as the Nelvana series on DVD.
It's pretty weird animation, nothing like the Nelvana series. And the voices are heaps different.
All the audio and menus are in English, but the text is in french. There aren't any special features, except for some for some crappy thing that says 'have you seen these other cartoons on DVD?' or something, and it has some pictures of other cartoons that i've never heard of.

Overall it's pretty good. I'm interested in buying anything Tintin, so this was a pretty good buy for only 13 bucks. I'd never read the book before, so it was good to finaly see it.
jockosjungle
#7 · Posted: 12 Feb 2005 13:54
The R1 French release is truly awful quality though, all grainy and it has all dots all over the screen, is the DVD release really as good as the Ellipse series? If it is i'll have to get it!

What text is in French?

Rik
beinke
#8 · Posted: 13 Feb 2005 02:54
It's quality isn't as good as the series, but it's not grainy or anything. It's still watchable. Most of the backgrounds look like they've been painted free-hand or something. Completly different to the series. I'm glad i bought it though.
The text that is in french, is the opening titles and the credits (i guess, i haven't got round to watching the end yet). All the audio is in english with funny sounding voices.
jockosjungle
#9 · Posted: 13 Feb 2005 09:52
Ok I see, you mean the text in the film itself, but the menus are still in English, might have to get a copy.

Rik
nestor
#10 · Posted: 14 Feb 2005 03:12
has anyone else had audio problems with theirs?
the menu has music, but when i play the movie the sound disappears. The same thing happens with the lucky luke dvd i have (distributed in my country by the same people as "mystery at shark lake).

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!