Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Creating Tintin fan works

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Aldora
#1 · Posted: 7 Mar 2005 03:20
I'm new here... and I'm not sure if this goes here... however...

I'm curious as to whether or not fans, such as myself, are allowed to write 'Tintin' FanFictions or create 'Tintin' FanArt to place on a website. I heven't seen any around, and when I came here and found out about Moulinstart, or whatever it's called, and the copyright on Tintin, I thought that maybe the lack of fan works was due to the fact that nobody's allowed... if someone could clue me in I'd be eternally greatful, since I'm trying to make my own fansite and I'm not sure if I actually CAN use Tintin and friends (Not claiming them as my own, OF COURSE! Never in a thousand years!)

I'm sorry if I've wasted anyone's time with this... I'm clueless as to if this has been discussed before or not... Thankyou in advance.
MoonRocket
#2 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 14:06
Someone who wants to write a Tintin fan fiction?? Yay! There's very few of that breed out there, it seems. I don't know whether or not Moulinsart prohibits the writing of fanfiction, but if they do, then people don't seem to heed that rule.

I've been writing a Tintin fanfiction, and I think the best place to post one would be...

[Content removed by Moderator: sorry, Moonrocket, but we cannot openly publish names of sites that offer unauthorized Tintin material. Please help keep this site legal and squeaky clean, thanks!]

Does anyone else know about this kind of copyright thing?

[Note from Moderator: Moulinsart have published a charter which concerns the use of Hergé's work on the Internet[/url]. To quote from the charter: Copyright protects not only the comic albums and the drawings (cases, strips, plates, extra-textual drawings, covers), script ("scenario"), texts, dialogues and gags, but also the settings, the characters and their particularities, the names, titles and imaginary places, onomatopoeia, fonts and other elements of the work of Hergé.]
Aldora
#3 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 21:29
crumbs... that's a bite... ah well... so I can't even draw a piccie of Tintin j'st standin' there next ta Snowy?

Yay!!! I'm not the only fanfic writer!!! You rule MoonRocket!!!
MoonRocket
#4 · Posted: 8 Mar 2005 22:35
Wow, Moulinsart is certainly, uh... strict... Dang. Maybe that's why there's no fanfics out there. Sorry about that!!
Harrock n roll
#5 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 02:19
Wow, Moulinsart is certainly, uh... strict... Dang. Maybe that's why there's no fanfics out there.

We're sorry to appear so strict ourselves as it often goes against the good nature of the members. Unfortunately this site - in it's earlier incarnation - was closed down before and so our current policy is to adhere to the charter. We don't want to give M-you-know-who any excuse to spoil our little party! We hope you understand our position, it's awkward but necessary.

Roll on 1st January 2054! (public domain day!)
MoonRocket
#6 · Posted: 9 Mar 2005 02:27
We don't want to give M-you-know-who any excuse to spoil our little party! We hope you understand our position, it's awkward but necessary.

I understand... it stinks to have a website (not to mention community!) shut down because of copyright stuff...

--
[Edited by Moderator. Reason: off topic remarks removed.]
snafu
#7 · Posted: 20 Mar 2005 21:39
Here is the link to what Moulinsart SA sanctions:
http://www.tintin.com/home/legal/droits.html
Maybe the Tintinologists of the Tintinologists amongst us will be able to go to them and propose that they permit our fanworks (anyway, we all try to keep everything "squeaky clean", right?).

--
[Admin note: Link updated in 2015 to reflect new location.]
jockosjungle
#8 · Posted: 20 Mar 2005 22:21
The official line on fan fiction is no, but apparently there is some loophole regarding a Tintin parody. Sadly the sanctions are rather vague regarding Herge on the internet and I generally have a cautious approach on my site.

I have one picture of Jocko as the site logo and the album covers as images, the only others I have are only used to make a point.

Shame really as I have a good idea for a JZ&J fanwork but wouldn't want to fall foul of MS

Rik
Danagasta
#9 · Posted: 11 Jul 2005 16:01
I tried to get through to Moulinsart to ask about my Skut autobio setup, but they make it nearly impossible to find an Email address (I'm on a computer that's ancient, so there may be one that isn't showing up.) The only one they had was for reporting copyright infringement, and that one bounced back saying "Unknown user." I'm NOT mailing snail-mail to Belgium because our postal service in Connecticut always loses important stuff!!!! Darnit!

Courtney
jockosjungle
#10 · Posted: 11 Jul 2005 16:10
I think you'd be a bit daft to shop yourself to Moulinsart Courtney! To be honest I think you would be wasting your time contacting them because either they will not reply (they never did to me) or they will tell you explicitly that you cannot.

Rik

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!