Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Tintin in Lebanon: plot summary

snafu
#1 · Posted: 30 Mar 2005 20:18
This is not related to the locked post, but what the idea of that story anyway? Most Tintin stories, even the pirate editions, have some deeper point. As I see it, there seems to be about little more than Tintin clowning around in the MidEast. At least it wasn't outrageously dirty, though...
jock123
#2 · Posted: 31 Mar 2005 10:10
It’s difficult to see how this discussion will progress, as I can’t imagine that the bulk of people here will ever have read, or even seen, the book.

Could you perhaps express this in terms of a specific point about the story, such as how it compares to a regular album: does it reflect the sort of plotting which Hergé might have used? Do the characters behave as they should?

Be careful to observe the restrictions which we must place on the subject of pirate material.

In terms of it having a point (without my ever having read it), maybe - as with so many of these amateur albums - the only point was to create a Tintin book? I don’t think that as many pirates as you say have any deeper meaning…
snafu
#3 · Posted: 31 Mar 2005 15:39
I checked the site where I found it, and the adventure is no longer there (I will not mention where I found it)...

If I remember correctly (it has been almost two months since I last saw "Tintin in Lebanon"), Tintin goes to Lebanon to cover US troops fighting there in the 1980s (it looks like the story was made much later). Then Snowy gets caught in a terrorist attack, and it creates a stir in the White House. Somehow Tintin and Snowy are reunited on a US vessel, and Tintin is invited to hit a switch called "The Big One", which releases a warhead that obliterates Lebanon...

It's quite farcical and very morbid. There is a scene where a child throws a grenade over a wall and then gets killed by machine gun fire.

Absent are all the Twins, Haddock, and Calculus, something not seen since "Tintin in America".

The story itself appears to be quite short.

Also unlike Herge, who covers issues in stories almost as soon as the actual events occur, at least 10 years (probably) passed between this story and the actual events. Odd...
jock123
#4 · Posted: 31 Mar 2005 16:30
While I am sure that your precis is accurate, I’m still not getting what your intention is in this thread - what is the purpose?

As the story stands, it sounds like “the idea of the story” is that of someone who is having a go at American policy on the Middle East, but that in itself sounds self-evident, and not really a topic for discussion, as such.

Other points (the absence of other characters etc.) just sound like the author wanted to do a short parody adventure, and wasn’t bothered with making it “canonical”.
midnightblueowl
#5 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 13:59
What is the drawing like, is it in black and white, and could it, if it's kinda anti USA, have been made by Attack International, who made Breaking free?

--
[Moderator Note: Combined two consecutive posts: Please be careful not to post consecutive posts; it might be necessary to add additional material at a later date, but if you have something else to say on the same day, it is best to edit your earlier post instead of making a second post.]
Teak
#6 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 14:28
It's in color and very professional looking. Done by the crew at "National Lampoon." Reagan is president, Bush Senior is Vice President.

I found it to be somewhat clever in-spite of it's twisted anti-Tintin flavor. Certainly not as bad as Tintin in Thailand.

"What is the idea of the story?" It's a lampoon of politics, certainly not intended to be a Tintin Adventure.
SingingGandalf
#7 · Posted: 26 Mar 2006 08:41
It's like 'Breaking free' in style, using Tintin to make an anti-arab point. It's quite racist actually.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!