Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: his sexuality

Page  Page 3 of 12:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 

Karaboudjan
#21 · Posted: 3 Mar 2005 19:21
I don't see why people can't just enjoy the stories without putting dirty spins on them.
Madamluna
#22 · Posted: 3 Mar 2005 20:13
Well, it's nothing new. Google "Tijuana Bibles" and you can see that stuff like this has been going on since at least the 1910s-1920s or something. It's just that the internet provides anonymity and an audience, so weird/abnormal quirks are fostered and grow into subcultures.

[Edit: Okay, now I'm wondering about where the Thompsons live. Do they still have an apartment somewhere in the city? I think that's what they had pre-Red Rackham's Treasure but I can't be sure.]
Karaboudjan
#23 · Posted: 4 Mar 2005 16:39
I googled it as recommended- and was so scared by the descriptions, I didn't dare follow up the links!
BlackIsland
#24 · Posted: 30 Mar 2005 17:00
Well in France the same things have been said about his sexuallity. Since Tintin was "characterless" I don't think Herge wanted the focus to be on him rather than the whole universe. He was one part of the books. It was kind of wierd you never saw him do alot in terms of his proffesion, also you never saw him with girl. It was like it did not occur to him because the focus was on the story not his personal life neccesarily. If that was the case a whole lot of other information would have been had to be introduced but that would have detered from the stories.
jock123
#25 · Posted: 30 Mar 2005 18:18
BlackIsland
It was kind of wierd you never saw him do alot in terms of his proffesion, also you never saw him with girl.

Not really weird at all - allowing again for the fact that his books are his “professional work”; no more so than we don’t see him going shopping, paying his taxes, decorating his flat, picking his nose - or all the other mundane tasks which don’t fit into adventure books aimed at seven year olds, or the seven year old in all of us.
BlackIsland
#26 · Posted: 1 Apr 2005 04:25
Not really weird at all - allowing again for the fact that his books are his “professional work”; no more so than we don’t see him going shopping, paying his taxes, decorating his flat, picking his nose - or all the other mundane tasks which don’t fit into adventure books aimed at seven year olds, or the seven year old in all of us.

Well that is what I mean. It was strange but I have been reading Tintin for 30 years so I understand what Herge was doing. I was also just saying I worked with two Maquet surgical table reps right from France and they said there was a lot of talk about Tintin's sexuality. It never really mattered, it just does not matter.
snafu
#27 · Posted: 1 Apr 2005 20:26
It is also interesting to note that Captain Haddock, the Thompson Twins, and to some extent Professor Calculus (he is attracted to Castafiore in "The Castafiore Emerald", but as to whether or not there was any real love between the two, that can go to another thread) are also not seen with women. There is nothing that even hints of sexuality in the stories.
jock123
#28 · Posted: 1 Apr 2005 23:37
snafu
There is nothing that even hints of sexuality in the stories.

It’s that very fact that is used to extract the opposite argument - there is no sign of overt heterosexuality (apart from Casanova Calculus and his infatuation with the Milanese Nightingale), ergo the characters are homosexual, which is clearly falacious logic.

The same tired argument is trailed out for any pairing of bachelors in fiction - Holmes and Watson, Biggles and Ginger, Jennings and Darbishire, Raffles and Bunny, Batman and Robin, Rupert the Bear and Algy, Noddy and Big Ears spring to mind, and I am just as sure that there will be those who say that about Blake and Mortimer, Astérix and Obélix, Tanguy and Laverdure…
Karaboudjan
#29 · Posted: 12 Apr 2005 19:06
All made up by people with nothing better to do...

My sister insists that they're gay, but only to bug me more than anything else. I'd like to know why it can't be accepted for characters to be lone adventurers, or have close, platonic friendships with other men without something kinky going on.
Clopin
#30 · Posted: 19 Apr 2005 04:56
Madamluna: I think it's kind of odd (to say the least) that I've NEVER seen a Tintin fancomic or anything similar that contains any amount of Tintin slash. Even "la vie sexuelle de Tintin" just has some Tintin/Castafiore pairing.

[Reply removed by Moderator. No posting of links to unauthorized fan works allowed.]

Page  Page 3 of 12:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!