Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

New release: Tintin in the Congo - English colour version

Page  Page 2 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

BlackIsland
#11 · Posted: 10 Jun 2005 14:00
Well I have been wating ten years for it.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#12 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 11:23
The publicity spiel that Egmont are giving out for this book is as follows:

"A 'must-have' for adult collectors, this edition marks the colour album's first appearance in English and completes the series of 24 works created by Herge. Readership level: 16+."

So it seems that, despite its appearance as part of the regular canon, Tintin in the Congo will be expressly marketed as being for more mature readers.

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#13 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 12:13
The final cover must presumably be this one from Egmont's site ; it looks like the previous design is actually the finished one, but probably scanned from a printed catalogue. Looking at the cover, I'd imagine the whole book is digitally lettered - a shame that it couldn't have been hand-written just to tie in with the other books.

Egmont's page for the book (here) gives the age range as '16-19', a pretty precise target audience if ever there was one.

I wonder if there'll be any publicity by Egmont for the release ? There was none for Alph-Art that I saw ; I only found the book by chance in Waterstones amongst all the other volumes, and wouldn't have known about an English version at all if it wasn't for this forum !
Harrock n roll
#14 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 12:33
I wonder if there'll be any publicity by Egmont for the release ?

It's amazing you even found something on their site Richard, I was looking earlier for anything to do with Congo (perhaps some articles or previews?) on Egmont's site and came up blank. I noticed a very poor showing for Tintin generally; the author/ illustrator biography page for Hergé is non-existant. I just think they could (nay, should!) do a wee bit more :(

I see on their page for Congo it's mentioned “all copies of the book will be displayed with a belly-band advertising its content.” It seems they are being very cautious with the book regarding it's content (which we expected of course); the first ‘belly-band’ on a Tintin book !
jockosjungle
#15 · Posted: 16 Jun 2005 16:32
Egmont's page for the book (here) gives the age range as '16-19', a pretty precise target audience if ever there was one.

Damn I am 24 :(

I wonder if there'll be any publicity by Egmont for the release ? There was none for Alph-Art that I saw ; I only found the book by chance in Waterstones amongst all the other volumes, and wouldn't have known about an English version at all if it wasn't for this forum !

You were lucky to see a copy of Alph Art in your local Waterstones, I had to get my local one to order in a copy.

But then again how much publicity is there for Tintin books anyway? Not the sort of thing that would require a major campaign if you take in expected sales. I'm pretty sure that sticking that it is available on the back of the other books would do more for publicity.

Tintin is more of a cash cow for Egmont, the sales are never spectacular but they keep on going!

I'm guessing a belly band is a slip of paper round the book preventing it being opened without removing the paper, something along the lines of "DANGER DO NOT OPEN IF YOU LIKE ANIMALS OR ARE FROM THE CONGO"

Rik
number1fan
#16 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 22:07
im only 16 ive bin waiting for this book for 12 years i read my first book at 3 well t was read 2 me i have both black and white and i have tintin in the congo 2nd edition but knot the color wil u b able to buy it in the tintin shop in covent garden because it says nothing about the book being on sale i'd be so pleased if it is realesed now all we need is a cartoon and tintin world will be a lot happyier this would be a good cartoon but alot of story change
Richard
UK Correspondent
#17 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 22:23
It will be listed on the Tintin Shop's website closer to the time, I think. They're usually pretty prompt with listing new products - they were with the new edition of Tintin and Alph-Art - so it should appear at some point in August, I'd imagine. It'll hopefully be available in general bookshops like Waterstones and Borders, as long as they don't refuse to stock it. Maybe they'll be sold in unmarked brown paper bags ...
Danagasta
#18 · Posted: 2 Jul 2005 04:26
I know it's available in both French and English at the Yale Bookstore's World Language Center in New Haven,CT for those in the US or who'll be visiting. I found very neat things there, such as the tutorials they had featuring Tintin, "L'atélier de la bande dessinée" series of three books designed for kids (hey, I'm 23 but I'm still a big kid!!! They're cute!)

Courtney
Richard
UK Correspondent
#19 · Posted: 2 Jul 2005 19:10
Danagasta
the tutorials they had featuring Tintin, "L'atélier de la bande dessinée" series of three books designed for kids

Did they have all three volumes of the series there ? I have the first two, and they both mention the third as a sort of 'coming soon', but as far as I can tell ... it didn't. Perhaps they couldn't find enough information to fill a book on how to colour a comic ?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#20 · Posted: 26 Aug 2005 10:18
Here's a first look at the "belly-band" of the new edition:

http:// tintin.francetv.fr/en/kiosque/news/050822_tintincongo.jpg (link no longer works)

It reads: "COLLECTOR'S EDITION: This colour edition, available in English for the first time, completes the series of 24 Tintin adventures by Hergé". I was expecting more of a caution regarding the content, but we can only see the front of it so perhaps that's inside.

Ed

Page  Page 2 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!