Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: why can't people accept it for what it is?

Page  Page 6 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

snafu
#51 · Posted: 9 Aug 2005 13:55
Did anybody take issue against "Flight 714" for any of the following:

-The cover, which could have frightened people upon first sight with those carved faces

-Carreidas, a very annoying character whom Tintin and Captain Haddock (nearly accidentally killed by Carreidas) really went out of their ways to save even if they weren't going to be rewarded. Not to mention that he cheated in "Battleships". He could very well be the most reprehensible non-villain in the Tintin series

-The lack of slapstick humor (only 2 real instances), possibly because the Thompsons weren't there (hard to bring them in, though)

Any thoughts?

Any other possible reasons that I could have missed?
Karaboudjan
#52 · Posted: 20 Aug 2005 10:59
I'd agree that one of my problems with Flight 714 is the vast number of unpleasant characters. As well as Carreidas, who I simply loathe, there is Allan (don't get me started), that snivelly little blighter Spalding, the moral neutral Krollspell, whose efforts to help Tintin and the Captain are entirely selfishly motivated and the nasty Italian whose name I can't remember.

I can cope with Rastapopoulos, since he is so over the top and megalomaniacally evil, but this bunch are a case of slimy, small-minded, deeply repellent evil. Much less fun to spend time with, and they cast a veneer of slime over the rest of the adventure. Even the old sticking plaster joke fails to raise a smile after the frightening Big R/Carreidas boasting contest.
ClaroQuerido
#53 · Posted: 21 Aug 2005 00:42
I'd agree that one of my problems with Flight 714 is the vast number of unpleasant characters.

Thats a good point, something I hadn't considered before. But I still like it :)

the frightening Big R/Carreidas boasting contest.

I always thought that this had the opposite effect to 'frightening'. To me it shows the essentially banal nature of evil, that 'evil' is not the opposite of 'good'. I found it funny as well as interesting.

Also when R. says to Tintin "come on, you've known me for years - you tell him how evil I am" - I thought a funny, interesting and curiously touching moment.
snafu
#54 · Posted: 22 Aug 2005 18:56
The boasting contest was funny, but it doesn't seem to have the kind of punch the Thompson twins apparently give. It still feels rather raw... even if it does tickle the ribs.

Also when R. says to Tintin "come on, you've known me for years - you tell him how evil I am" - I thought a funny, interesting and curiously touching moment.

That's what I'm talking about when I was referring to the rib-tickling!!
Danagasta
#55 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 20:49
Tintinrulz
I enjoy the whole Yeti and alien myths but they are just that - myths. I enjoy Flight 714 but I don't believe aliens are real but that they are demonic spirits in disguise. So its not wise to mess around with that stuff.

You can believe what you want, but as a Pagan I don't really like the undertone of "messing with that stuff." Also, how can you not believe that aliens are real, but that demonic spirits are? Wouldn't both by your definition either have to be myths or reality?
I personally believe both exist, and take precautions to avoid any negativity that could be brought by either.
Courtney

Moderator Note:
This is getting well off topic, so please limit your discussions to whether or not 714 is an acceptable Tintin adventure, and leave the religious debate for elsewhere, thank you!
snafu
#56 · Posted: 21 Sep 2005 21:16
I just spent some time looking at Flight 714, which justifies my reviving this old thread. I notice that no one has previously noticed this, but there is no known reason for justifying the aliens' hypnotizing Tintin and his friends. As often discussed in threads regarding The Broken Ear, stories where not all the loose ends are tied together make tings weak. This is another reason to question the quality of Flight 714, unless, of course, I'm looking at the wrong place. Anybody share my feelings about this missing part of the adventure?
colombani
#57 · Posted: 22 Sep 2005 22:21
Flight 714 is my favourite Tintin story. And this is not at all beacuse it has the richest or most gripping or natural plot. Rather, flight 714 conveys to me the message that we are all fallible as human beings on this planet, no matter whether one is a good guy, a criminal, a president or a rebel fighter. The book shows that there is an element of pathos as well as greatness in all of us, Carreidas and Rastapopoulos being perfect examples. Also, the variety of characters in Flight 714 and their conglomeration to bring an authentic feel to such a community is unequalled.
heruursmith
#58 · Posted: 29 Sep 2005 23:46
For many many years Flight 714 was my absolute favourite of the Tintin books. I don't mind the science fiction elements in it at all. In fact they are perhaps a shocking revelation to the Tintin universe, but as other people have pointed out no less fantastic than some of the other elements and scenarios that have appeared in the books over the years. I also felt that some of the frames were some of the most beautifully drawn and coloured that Herge ever did. Some of them are delightful studies in light and shade and movement. I used to spend hours when I was a kid looking at the indvidual frames and the use of colour and the way that simple objects were rendered.

If you look at some of the frames that one might usually just glance over as one reads the story (fast paced and exciting as it is) you get to see the incredible skill and well thought out angles and use of colours and pen lines. I know good drawing isn't enough to make a good story (in the same way that good visual effects don't make a movie good!). But I think that this is a wonderfully told story has a great atmosphere. Have a look at the difference in thickness of the lines and the choices that were made when using thick or thin ink pens. Pure artistic and story telling genius in my opinion.
:P

Kamael
jock123
#59 · Posted: 30 Sep 2005 11:15
I had cause to thumb quickly through the book the other day, and I realised that, compared to Red Sea Sharks, which I had just re-read, there is an awful lot of talking in 714. Often whole sections of pages just seem to be littered with huge speech balloons, filled with texts - relegating back-grounds, and even the characters to almost supporting feature status. This got me thinking…

I wonder if this is partly the reason for some of the disparity of opinion about this book? Some have said it is the acme of Hergé’s artistic work, and others disagree; others say it is a superb narrative, and others that it is rushed and bodged.

Maybe what has happened is a subtle shift in the balance of how the story is being told; Red Sea (and I’m only picking this because as I said, I’d just read it) seems to show as much as it tells, balancing a constantly moving view-point, and adding dialogue which moves the sory along in tandem. Perhaps 714 gives the reader a less well integrated experience, providing great art for those that enjoy it, and a good story if that’s your thing, but not maybe getting the mix right for those of us that have a feeling of dissatisfaction… Just a thought…
Pilote
#60 · Posted: 6 Oct 2005 15:45
Flight 714 is one of my favourites for sure! At the time of reading (I was a really small kid), I used to watch shows for children about phenomena and UFO's,etc. So this book was a rather fresh, unique environment for Tintin and the rest to be thrown into.

Page  Page 6 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!