Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Adventure of Shouchan - great rival of Tintin

igagli
#1 · Posted: 20 May 2005 08:47
SHOUCHAN is a very old MANGA character created in the early part of the 20th century in Japan. His first story, OTOGI SHOCHAN NO BOUKEN was created in 1923!

SHOUCHAN is a youth journalist for the newspaper, ASAHI. He has a talking animal friend - a large chipmunk, called RISU.

The adventures of Tintin are very realistic, but adventures of Shouchan are more fantasic. He goes to heaven, encounters monsters and Kentauros.

http://www.shochan.jp
http://www.shogakukan-cr.co.jp/topics/shochan/

---
[Edited by Admin. Fixed URLs and merged two consecutive posts.]
cuthbert
#2 · Posted: 21 May 2005 08:53
Wow! That's really interesting igagli! It kind of reminds me of the early 'Spirou' comics (who also has a pet squirrel or chipmunk, I believe).
microbeast
#3 · Posted: 17 Aug 2005 03:46
Hi, I am just wondering if you have any idea where I can find Shouchan adventures in English? I have been thinking about this comic for a year (I found out about it when commemorative stamps came out in Japan for the comic last year) and tonight I decided to try to find anything out about it that I could. Unfortunately I don't understand Japanese at all so I can't look at the website linked. I know this original post was made more than two months ago, so hopefully my question will be seen. Thank you!
snafu
#4 · Posted: 17 Aug 2005 13:54
Interesting, the drawings seem faintly related to Herge's ligne-claire style (is that how you spell it), especially when comparing the drawings between this and "Tintin in America". It's also interesting to observe the use of dialogue bubbles, which Herge was starting to experiment with at around the same time. Sort of like convergent evolution (an actual biological term, BTW) both in the East and in the West!

BTW, that picture of him on the condor reminds me of a particular chapter in "Prisoners of the Sun"!
igagli
#5 · Posted: 26 Aug 2005 06:28
microbeast
where I can find Shouchan adventures in English?
There is no translated edtion.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!