Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

New release: Tintin in the Congo - English colour version

Page  Page 4 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#31 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 22:27
catchgops
Has anyone got their hands on this one, yet?

Not me anyway. Amazon don't seem to have received the books from Egmont yet, nor does Play.com. It looks like there's been some sort of delay with the publishers despatching the books. But it has been printed, at least in a limited number, since a copy was sold a month or so ago on eBay (a chap in Belgium was selling it).
Harrock n roll
#32 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 23:25
edcharlesadams Here's a first look at the "belly-band" of the new edition: It reads: "COLLECTOR'S EDITION: This colour edition, available in English for the first time, completes the series of 24 Tintin adventures by Hergé". I was expecting more of a caution regarding the content, but we can only see the front of it so perhaps that's inside

I think it's interesting that they have called it a "collector's edition". I doubt that they mean this edition will be collectable, i.e. a limited print run. It might still contain a 'caution' inside but the bellyband is probably Egmont's way of giving reasoning for it's release. We have mentioned in other threads that Egmont might find it difficult to justify releasing it because of it's content.

However, the reason is made very plain on the front cover - the fact that it completes the collection!
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#33 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 23:43
I was in the Tintin Shop earlier; the staff do know about it but can't say when it will arrive.

But it has been printed, at least in a limited number

The picture I posted on page 2 seems to me to have some traces of shadow around the belly-band: this suggests to me it's been scanned rather than being a proof picture, so the Herge Foundation must have a copy since it was from their website.

since a copy was sold a month or so ago on eBay (a chap in Belgium was selling it).

This must have passed me by. Do you have a link?

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#34 · Posted: 9 Sep 2005 00:42
edcharlesadams :
Do you have a link?

I do - here we are. If it had been listed on eBay UK I'm sure it would have sold for a considerable lot more. Annoyingly it's nigh-impossible to make out the writing on the back of the belly band.

I don't know how the seller got hold of a copy, I'm presuming they must have had links with Egmont themselves. I emailed both Egmont and the Tintin Shop to see if any advance copies were available - you can't blame me for trying - but was told that they were unable to supply copies of the book until it had been officially published.
edcharlesadams
#35 · Posted: 11 Sep 2005 23:26
Just a small update, but Blackwell's are giving the release date as September 30th here.

It looks like an arbitrary date to me - just to give the publishers until the end of the month to distribute. Hopefully we'll see the book on the shelves before this...

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#36 · Posted: 12 Sep 2005 17:03
Just spotted this on the Tintin Shop's site - now we know why the books are delayed (the stock delivered to distributors warehouse was damaged). Let's hope they get some new ones printed soon.
edcharlesadams
#37 · Posted: 12 Sep 2005 18:38
That's really too bad - but these things happen. Would anyone with any knowledge of publishing like to guess at how long a new print run might take?

Ed
jock123
#38 · Posted: 12 Sep 2005 19:21
Well, I suppose that that makes the copy sold on eBay even more valuable, if they pulp the entire first run, and re-print: it could be one of very few to escape. Or do you think they are only talking about the copies destined for the Tintin Shop?
rpbcps
#39 · Posted: 14 Sep 2005 17:22
I have been waiting patiently for my copy of the book to arrive from Amazon.co.uk, who incidently are offering it for only 6.99 (Stirling)! But no sign!
So I emailed Egmont Books Ltd. to ask if the book had been published, as all sources I have tried say it will arrive from 5th Sept. BUT no one has any copies!This is is the reply I got:
"Dear Richard,
I'm sorry to inform you that we have had production problems with this title which have delayed its publication. Currently we are expecting that the book will be in the shops by October 17th. Should you have any difficulty obtaining the book after this date please let me know and we will obtain a copy for you."

That is from their production manager, so looks like we'll all have to wait a little longer!
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#40 · Posted: 1 Oct 2005 09:36
There's another one listed on eBay (here) ... and it's the same seller. I wonder how they obtained a copy ...

Page  Page 4 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!