Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in America: English black and white facsimile review

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Harrock n roll
#11 · Posted: 1 Sep 2004 12:35
I'm not so sure that the new translation is "heavily based" on the colour translation. I had a comparison and while there is the odd line which is identical, mostly it's different. During my interview with him I actually asked him whether he was referring to the colour translations or working from scratch (in regard to "Cigars") and he seemed emphatic that he was working from scratch. He pointed out that "the 'Ur text' has never been translated" - Hergé had made many modifications himself for the colour versions and he and LLC would use the most up to date one for their translation.

I also agree that the typeface isn't as nice as the hand lettering used in Congo and Soviets (not sure who did those). Personally I'd like to have seen a font resembling Hergé's original handscript in the French editions. Not sure whether they could have legally used the homemade "licorne" font, which was recently created by a fan, but it would look nicer. The letter "I" with serifs doesn't look so good IMO.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#12 · Posted: 1 Sep 2004 15:18
Certain phrases are common to both versions which could easily be translated differently but are not: for example, on page one of the colour version, “not one single day does he [Tintin] spend in Chicago”, and “Shutters down!… Sucker’s walked right into the trap!” are reproduced as they were. Perhaps if Michael Turner has used as a basis a new translation from scratch, he has nonetheless at least made reference to the 1978 version – I’m not sure that a fair few of these phrases can be written identically with translations made “from scratch” 25 years apart! However if he himself says that it’s a completely new translation then of course that must be the case. My compliments to him for giving a version that reads as well as the modern one but retains the archival element of the original!

It seems to me that for the most part, wherever the black-and-white French text differs from the colour French text, the black-and-white English text has been suitably modified from the colour English text to reflect this. (maybe I’ll compile a table of examples when I get time…) We find that in the original versions the language is less expressive – perhaps its week-to-week construction did not allow modifications easily. Also the new translation steers clear of the more liberal approach taken with the old one, so that the English text is a much more literal translation of the French. There are less American idioms that are present in the English colour version and had started to creep into the French text by 1946, perhaps due to the influence of the Golden Age of cinema.

Ed
jockosjungle
#13 · Posted: 7 Sep 2004 20:42
I've noticed this has now gone from Tintin Shop's website, has this been and gone already or will more stock come to fruition?

Hopefully we'll see the next one soon!

Rik
jockosjungle
#14 · Posted: 16 Sep 2004 10:12
I e-mailed Tintin Shop and they have it on order but don't expect to get any until October

Rik
jock123
#15 · Posted: 17 Sep 2004 23:33
I missed the very small window in which this book seems to have been available, so I will certainly be trying to get one when they are back in stock – thanks for the info, Rik.

Does anyone have any idea which is the next facsimile after “America” – is “Cigars” still out in November?
jockosjungle
#16 · Posted: 18 Sep 2004 02:50
Amazon.com still says so Jock123!

Rik
Big Ren
#17 · Posted: 3 Oct 2004 14:30 · Edited by: Big Ren
The London Tintin Shop got this back in stock last week, I finally managed to get one yesterday. Apparently their new stock is going fast.
The cover was a slight surprise in that the picture is printed directly on it. (Or is it just my copy that's like this?) The French facsimiles have the picture section pasted onto the cover, giving it a more traditional feel. I wonder whether the Last Gasp version will be like this. Perhaps someone from the USA/Canada can let us know in two months.
Big Ren
#18 · Posted: 6 Oct 2004 13:39
Perhaps I should rephrase my question:
Does your copy of Tintin in America English B&W facsimile have the cover picture printed on the board rather than pasted on like the French facsimiles?
jockosjungle
#19 · Posted: 6 Oct 2004 15:00
Mine is printed on. I don't have the French ones to compare it to though

Rik
Big Ren
#20 · Posted: 6 Oct 2004 15:36
Many thanks jockosjungle.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!